Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I have a 2014 SE hatch with 35,000 miles on it. It came with Cooper Zeon RS3-A 215/50 R17 M+S tires. I've had the tires rotated by the dealer every 5K miles, and I drive the car 80% on the highway.

Over time the tires have gotten noisier and noisier, with a regular "thum-thum-thum" that increases with speed (independent of transmission/revs and steering). Rotating the tires doesn't effect the location of the noise. Given that they had 35K mi on them I was looking forward to replacing them soon anyway.

On my previous car I had a bent rim which led one tire to wear unevenly and make that same noise, so I asked the dealer to check the car to make sure there was no uneven wear or alignment issues or anything that would cause the tires to make that noise. The wrench said he would take the car out for a drive to see if he could hear it as well.

He called me back and said there was nothing wrong with the tires...in fact they had half their tread life left, and that the noise was normal for these tires, although he agreed you could clearly hear it. He also thought that the mostly highway mileage was contributing to their extended lifespan.

So my first question is, is this characteristic of these tires, and would replacing them make any difference?

My second question is should I replace them at this point? I am really not happy with the noise, but don't know if this is more to do with the tires or the design of the car itself. I don't want to drive the car another 2 yrs until the tires really do need to be replaced.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do you know the tread depth left? Half-life according to the dealer could mean 6/32 which is around the cusp of "start saving up for tires." With most, if not all tires, they'll get louder and louder as the tread wears down but it seems like the focus barely deafens any tire noise. The stock Coopers were definitely louder than other OEM tires that I've heard though. (Changed mine out at around 45/50K miles and I'm sitting at zero tread on my current set LOL.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put brand new Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my 09 SE, lost about 85% of the road noise into the cab, may not be a high performance tire, but does what I want them to do......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Adhesive and BloodRed...the wrench said they had "half" their tread depth left, but I haven't measured it myself. If it gets worse the more they're worn that makes sense...I wasn't sure if it was actually getting louder or if I was just becoming more sensitive to it over time.

Will try to tough it out to 40K and start saving for a new set. Has anyone besides BloodRed swapped in different tires and noticed a much quieter ride?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yea, I'm on my third set of tires - about to be fourth in a few days. It's just the nature of all tires - quiet when new and noisy as they wear down (some tires exempt from this generic statement like slicks.) Although the Coopers seemed to be especially noisy as they wear down to the point where I couldn't hear the HVAC on 3-4 setting lol.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have 30k on my coopers and, embarassingly, they have never been rotated.[slap]
Mine are noisy and sound basically like what your describing.
Its hard to pinpoint noise as the roads are being worked on and all scarrified and such.
I didnt measure officially but theres still a decent amount of tread on the fronts, above the wearbars still, would probly pass inspection still.
Driving 80+mph on the highway 75 or so miles a day for the last 18k miles i was expecting them to be basically bald by now.
If i remember to ill snap a pic of the fronts and backs for comparison.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
My zeons were hilariously loud until they were replaced around 64k miles believe it or not, with 5/32 tread left. I rode them as long as i could, and just replaced them since winter was coming up. Ive got bf goodrich comp 2 a/s for the last 10k miles and man are they quiet.

I would only replace my tires if the treads were getting low imo...not worth the sound benefit to shell out $500+ earlier than you need too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a followup on my OP...I toughed it out for almost a year, and the day I hit 40K I bought a set of General AltiMAX RT43 XL and....

TLDR: It's like owning a new car! While I can't tell much difference from a performance view, they are whisper-quiet and made me feel good about driving again...yes, it was that bad before!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just a followup on my OP...I toughed it out for almost a year, and the day I hit 40K I bought a set of General AltiMAX RT43 XL and....

TLDR: It's like owning a new car! While I can't tell much difference from a performance view, they are whisper-quiet and made me feel good about driving again...yes, it was that bad before!
Nice, I'm running on the same Altimax RT43s also. Their sidewalls are much softer than the Coopers though and lack a lot of tire response in butt-pucker moments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts