Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

w/ my magic bag
Yea a poly psm does tie down the motor, but it does produce more forward bite thou..

Registered
LOL
I just took the wife out for dinner and she said "What is wrong with the car? It is shaking like it is broken." She didn't even know I had worked on the car today.
I guess that is the answer to whether the FSWORKS RMM adds vibration.

Registered
Yeah, that's about right for wear out on motor mounts. My 2013 required both the rear and passenger side mounts at 50k miles, was surprised that they did not last longer, but them's the brakes.... a poly rear mount is great for wear, but you might get increased harshness at idle due to the stiffness of the mount. I have generally found the trans mount lasts at least twice as long as the passenger side mount in my experience.

Registered
My wife's 2012 Focus with 105K miles had an electric rear motor mount installed at about 20K miles as the engine windup and snatch was absolutely insane without it. At the time I noticed a faint increase in vibration, but found it to be a reasonable compromise. Fast forward to today, when I drove it. It vibrates like crazy, especially at idle! Note to self: drive the wife's car monthly because she won't notice or advise of any problems the car has.

Seems pretty likely to be motor mounts, although I haven't yet jacked it up for an inspection. It sounds like the passenger motor mount is surely gone. Should I replace the driver's side as well? I recall the ERMM is solid rubber, not too likely I'll need to replace that, is it? I see polyurethane mounts mentioned in this thread by TurboTechRacing, but must increase vibration some. Likely those are not something my wife would appreciate. Has the factory mount been improved, or should I consider one of the aftermarket mounts below?

Here is a horizontal mount from Sure Motorsports, billet aluminum and kind of expensive. And one with a vertical poly biscuit, available in two different durometers from James Baron Racing. And to be complete, Turbo Tech Racing's version - they offer both sides.

Registered
Any of those mounts are going to add vibration some more than others.
They are designed for performance to help with torque steer, engine movement and so forth.
I would recommend OEM for comfort.
Upgraded rear engine mounts don't add nearly the vibration the aftermarket passenger side engine mount would.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Registered
Any of those mounts are going to add vibration some more than others.
They are designed for performance to help with torque steer, engine movement and so forth.
I would recommend OEM for comfort.
Upgraded rear engine mounts don't add nearly the vibration the aftermarket passenger side engine mount would.
Makes sense, I ordered the revised passenger side OEM mount. Unfortunately it is on backorder.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts