Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as part of my MFPP plan, i have the regular oil change, check up, etc... and i asked for the dealer to check my mounts as i suspect they may be making some wierd noises in my car and vibrating in the cabin at times. So they tell me i need to replace all 3.. 650$CAD. Are you kidding me? my car is from 2012 and 123,000kms. I have heard of KIAs being 15 years old and never needing to change the motor mounts. [vommit]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought i should mention. Theyre not completly rubber stripped but i checked out the passenger side MM and Rear motor mount and i can see visible cracks in the rubber already.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved this to MkIII General, just for more views as it's NOT yet a common complaint afaik.

HAVE seen some mentioned as replacing them (passenger side mainly), but I don't remember mileages/ages well enough to add that info. myself.

HAVE seen early failures of the driver's side on VERY few occasions, only on MkIII models. The passenger (right) side is the normal mount for ALL Focus models to create vibes when it's shot.

Most recommend ALL mounts at once for best results, SO if you take it to a shop with that complaint it's almost guaranteed they'll make that recommendation. Kinda a case where the symptoms drive the recommendation, even WITHOUT a close inspection.

One GOOD diagnostic for passenger side wear is WHEN the vibes occur. IF they tend to appear when the car is cold, and go away when warmed up (worse in Winter) it's a sign of the mount starting to give up.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
having had all three of my mounts out at one point or another, it would not surprise me at all if your passenger side and rear motor mounts were worn. They SUCK from the factory. the Driver side mount seems pretty solid though. with that being said, they are all very easy to replace, especially the passenger side and rear mount. i'd recommend doing it yourself and saving a bunch of money.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
jburks brings up a good point, the rear one is OFTEN upgraded for better performance/less banging under hard acceleration - if only with the "ERMM" (electric Focus mount, as also used on the ST).

Performance section for the Duratec TiVCT has details on those options, might do it if replacing anyways.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those bastards eh. They said they need to take out the entire engine to change the motor mounts. Why lie Lol smh. im gonna go back them and tell them straight up u guys ripping people off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a suggestion. Have you tried the Snorkel delete? I had excessive vibration in my 2013 car. Then I did the snorkel delete (for fun), and the vibrations almost completely disappeared. Apart from just a faint feeling, there is little no vibration. Maybe they just want to make an extra buck off you.
Should be noted the snorkel delete isnt done to remove vibrations. The lack of vibrations just happens to be a side effect of removing the snorkel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh BOY LOL. snorkel delete was the first thing i did on my bby. Ive got the snorkel delete + KN filter :) Sounds like a champ. people always surprised i tell them its a 2.0 LOL

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Definitely do not need to remove the engine. That's total BS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Mine where shot (MY2012)...just replaced passenger mount this year (100K km).

Rear mount was replaced way earlier ~2014 IIRC.

These mount are soft...perhaps way too soft.

Engine removal not needed... just lift the engine with a jack to release pressure on mounts... total work time would be less than 30 min for each.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dealer stated mine were fine as I'm getting excessive vibration at idle and now around 70 mph. I mean I can see my passenger seat head rest shake like crazy. Thinking it's the passenger mount. I'm switching out tires soon just to eliminate that possibility. If that does not work it's going to a different ford dealer. I have the 3 cyl model btw.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
My dealer stated mine were fine as I'm getting excessive vibration at idle and now around 70 mph. I mean I can see my passenger seat head rest shake like crazy. Thinking it's the passenger mount. I'm switching out tires soon just to eliminate that possibility. If that does not work it's going to a different ford dealer. I have the 3 cyl model btw.
Not much feedback on the ecoboost triple yet, a few are talking about it in the performance section we created just for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now at streetlights my front seats and wheel shake like crazy. becomes uncomfortable at times where i just sit!! Im thinking about replacing the passenger MM and see where that gets me..

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Uh, technically you ARE removing engine as all the mounts undone has it and trans free.
I agree with you guys of course, it's just that like so many things Trump now they are stretching the truth to cover things it was not meant to cover in a logical universe.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Remember you are talking to a /service manager'. A person who knows next to nothing about actually working on a car.
That person may misunderstand what is required.
They se the $600C and think it must mean lifting the engine... out. LOL

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
The worse mount is the transmission side. The engine side and roll restricter (rear motor mount) are fairly easy. I've upgraded all three in my Focus in my garage.

Sent from another garage.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,399 Posts
The worse mount is the transmission side. The engine side and roll restricter (rear motor mount) are fairly easy. I've upgraded all three in my Focus in my garage.

Sent from another garage.
Yea but its not really that back as some other vehicles to work on.....I upgraded to a poly on the dsm when I replaced the reverse switch a few yrs back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just replaced/upgraded the RMM with the FSWERKS 75 durometer unit.
Man it was a TIGHT fit into the chassis opening!!! It took me about an hour to finally get things lined up and all the bolts back in. I used white lithium grease on the new RMM before trying to install it and it was still crazy tight. The 3 holes on the trans bracket were a PITA to get lined up so the bolts would start.

I have only moved the car around the driveway since install, but as soon as I started the car I could feel a very significant increase in vibration. I think I would be careful about using anything other than factory mounts to prevent additional vibration.

Yes, I am getting older!!! HaHa 52
When I was young and foolish, I would have looked for the hardest replacements to tighten things up as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts