Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I dragged my GF along to check out a few of the cars I was considering and get her opinion on them. We test drove them all back-to-back, saving the best (the Focus) for last. We both agreed it was hands-down our favorite (other cars we drove were the Mazda3 SkyActiv in iGrandTouring trim, Golf TDi and new Impreza in Sport Limited trim). I have been researching all of these cars for months and had driven them previously but never on the same day, always a few weeks apart. Doing it back-to-back was very valuable to me as my butt-dyno has a limited memory.

The Ford dealer had a gorgeous, loaded SGM Titanium hatch with a sticker at MSRP of around $28K. I really didn't want stuff like the parking tech package or performance package, and I was 50/50 on the premium pack. We had them do a check of local dealerships and found the perfect one; A SGM Titanium hatch in Boise, ID with the winter package, sunroof and nav.

MSRP on the car was $25,885. My X-plan price was less, somewhere around 23,900. Unfortunately using x-plan pricing makes you inelligable for most incentives and rebates. Dealers get paid $150 by Ford for each vehicle they sell under x-plan, so I proposed to the salesman that he sell me the car at a 'market price' of $150 over x-plan, that way I could still get the $1000 customer incentive and $500 college grad rebate, and they still make their margin. Voila! My out-the-door price was just over $22,000 including the splash guards and rear cargo tray. I later added in 6yr/100K warranty and service plans, which brought it up to ~$25K.

It should get here Wednesday!!! I'm so excited!

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can still get 500 rebate.
I qualify with A plan.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, smart!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Congrats! Did you trade or are you trading anything in towards the purchase price?

btw, my warranty added $1400 on to the bill.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You spent 2,800.00 on the warranty?
Warranty and service plans, both for 6yrs/100Kmi. It was worth it to me because my dealer waives the $100 deductable for all work I have done at their service dept. Basically the only $ I'll have to put in to that car in any way is for tires and gas (and mods [grinking])

Congrats! Did you trade or are you trading anything in towards the purchase price?

btw, my warranty added $1400 on to the bill.
I'm selling my '91 525i to a good friend of mine. I love that car, glad it will stay "in the family" :) The $4K from that is going straight to the new Focus.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you get a 3 year warranty with the car, aren't you really buying an additional three years for 2800. That seems like a lot of money for whatever a Ford warranty will cover. My new car will be here at the end of the week and the extended warranty just does not make sense to me. Please convince me if I am wrong..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get a 3 year warranty with the car, aren't you really buying an additional three years for 2800. That seems like a lot of money for whatever a Ford warranty will cover. My new car will be here at the end of the week and the extended warranty just does not make sense to me. Please convince me if I am wrong..
I did not spend $2800 on a warranty.

I Spent ~$1400 on a 6yr/100K warranty AND ~$1400 on a 6yr/100K service plan that covers every service, oil change, inspection, part replacement, etc.

As I understand it:

The factory warranty is 3yrs/36Kmi "limited", meaning it only covers defects in parts or assembly. That covers most of anything you'll run in to in your first 3 years as not much wears out that fast. But there's always the possibility that if something breaks, the service dept at your delaership could conclude it was due to 'overuse', 'misuse', or a whole host of things besides manufacturing defects. None of those things would be covered. The extended warranty of 6yrs/100K is "bumper-to-bumper" and covers anything that breaks or malfunctions anywhere in the car for any reason.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Be glad you bought the extended warranty. After all the problems we have had with our new Focus Tit. HB, I went back and purchased it from the dealer. When test driving your new ride, when it comes, in be sure to drive between 55 and 70 mph with the radio off and listen for a high/low humming sound from the left front end of the car. If there, be sure to document it. Check the oil level, document it so you can prove it is using oil and make sure the dealer installs the update for the MTS before you take delivery. This is just three of the several problems we and others on this forum have experienced.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip! I've been following the threads on here about peoples' issues and will be sure to do a very thorough examination of the car when it arrives.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Congrats! enjoy the hell out of it when you get it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congratulations!

I got home on the 4th; been driving mine since the 5th............like it so far; except alll the freakin' bells, dingers, and whizzers in it. I especially hate the noisy [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] turn signal indicator, that thinks it's a dysfunctional grandfather clock.......TOCK, TOCK, TOCK, TOCK!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats make shure when u pick it up you go over it with a fine tooth comb after you leave the lot its too late if you find anything it's better to deal with it at delivery.
My ford touch is supposed to have a complete overhaul next year
Feb or march so look out for that update when it comes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I've been following the threads on here about peoples' issues and will be sure to do a very thorough examination of the car when it arrives.
Any tips on what to ask for on the D plan?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts