Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well bought the car with 98,000 had it two years has 117,000 now and she blew it up hahaha i knew it was coming sooner or later.

So i have done some research on here and im going to list the things i found on here that i need to get for the swap tell me if im missing anything. BTW its and an 01 auto spi and im going to an auto zetec.

zetec motor mounts both passenger sides
zetec ac lines coming from compressor
zetec ecu
zetec engine bay harness from fuse box to fuel pump
zetec power steering high pressure line
zetec fuel line from body to fuel rail
zetec air box an tube
zetec throttle cable ( if i dont just mod my spi one)
zetec ac compressor?
zetec coolant hose from resevoir to thermostat

from what i read i have to get a motor and harness and ecu from an 00 or 01 zetec to go into my 01 spi and i also read the auto trans is the same and i can just use the one i have from my spi.

SO if i missed anything please list it i need to make a junkyard run, we have a couple u pull its so hope i can find one with it all. thanks everyone. if i dont get to cought up in it ill try and remember to take pix anpost em.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i got me a complete engine a wiring harness and computer today from our local quick pickfor 305 bucks. i prolly wont get to install it this week have some things to do this weekend so next week for sure

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car is an 01 automatic and the one i took the parts from was an 00 automatic

·
Registered
5 Posts
you will also need a body wire harness as the engine bay to body harness connectors are different. plan about 100-150 to have a mobile locksmith program the keys.you will also need a the dohc flex pipe. i would recommend you get new motor mounts as on of mine broke right after the swap.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you will also need a body wire harness as the engine bay to body harness connectors are different.
00-01 had the same plugs, so he will be fine. The change wasn't until 02, and that only affected the A/C system.

Also, you cannot use the auto trans from the SPI, it is the same model trans, but the internal electrical stuff is different, and the Zetec PCM will not control it correctly. I do at least 2 of these swaps per week, and I always pull the engine and trans together from the same donor car, so everything matches up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i dont need the wiring harness from the fuel pump to the firewall?

and are you sure the trans wont work everywhere i read said it did. cuz that sucks i already unhooked everything an pullin the motor in the morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you will also need a body wire harness as the engine bay to body harness connectors are different. plan about 100-150 to have a mobile locksmith program the keys.you will also need a the dohc flex pipe. i would recommend you get new motor mounts as on of mine broke right after the swap.
I dont need to get it programed because i have the keys from donor car.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
The transmissions are the same component wise, but the electrical system won't work the same. And to correct someone about the wire harness, it was actually redone in 2002.5 models. A lot of the pre-April 2002 Focus had the same harness as the 2000-2001. Also if you are interested, I have a spare harness that was pulled from a 2001 that is still in good condition if you are wanting it. Just PM me if you're interested in it. It's free so you can't complain about the price there, just pay for the shipping and we are good to go.

Here are a couple of pictures for the wire harness in question.

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/DonsPage/wire harness/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The transmissions are the same component wise, but the electrical system won't work the same. And to correct someone about the wire harness, it was actually redone in 2002.5 models. A lot of the pre-April 2002 Focus had the same harness as the 2000-2001. Also if you are interested, I have a spare harness that was pulled from a 2001 that is still in good condition if you are wanting it. Just PM me if you're interested in it. It's free so you can't complain about the price there, just pay for the shipping and we are good to go.

Here are a couple of pictures for the wire harness in question.

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/DonsPage/wire harness/

Thanks for the offer i already got one when i picked up my engine tho

And for the transmision my dads a ford master tech and he says there is no difference between them, also my cousin works at oreillys and he just pulled them up an said they are the same so i cant see why the computer wouldnt controll it if everythings the same. ill take my chances an if it dont work i guess ill just take it back apart cuz if i buy a trany here its only store credit if i return it so id rather do the work twice than be out my money.

and for the keys all you have to do is swap chips or you can just zip tie it under the plastic next to lock cylinder and itll work just fine.

but ill let you guys know by this weekend what goes on with my swap.
thanks for all the help so far

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Good lu ck man if you have any questions let me know I did a manual to manual swap last year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well so far swap hasnt been bad its gotten drug way out cuz i havent been able to get the right harness for the trans an oxygen sensores i went through 3 before getting the right one. motors been sittin in all bolted up everythings put toghether besides that damn small section of harness. so hopefully ill have time to button everything up soon cuz im tired of waiting to hear it run.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally got time to work on the car and i finally got it runnin but few issues to work out. I have a whinning noise goin on and a really high idle but I think I know the idle issue. So close to being done hahaha hopefully can drive it tonight

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
00-01 had the same plugs, so he will be fine. The change wasn't until 02, and that only affected the A/C system.

Also, you cannot use the auto trans from the SPI, it is the same model trans, but the internal electrical stuff is different, and the Zetec PCM will not control it correctly. I do at least 2 of these swaps per week, and I always pull the engine and trans together from the same donor car, so everything matches up.
I finished my swap lastnight and test drive was good. i did use the auto trans from the spi and had zero issues with it all gears shift just as they did before the swap.

anybody need any info on my swap i can help out also got all my spi stuff for sale if anybody wants to buy anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I want to bump this because I'm looking into doing a SPI to Zetec swap. The SPI is a 03 with the auto tranny. So I know the OP here used his SPI tranny, I know others have done it, so whats the final word on the trannys?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine works fine I been driving et every day no issues. but mine is also an 01 spi with 00 zetec motor. i dont know about 03. I called oriellys where my cousin works and he compared part numbers on the auto tranys between sohc an dohc. and he shows that ford used same auto trany from 00 up to 10. that idk how true it is but between spi an zetecs for what your doing there shouldnt be any issues. just make sure you swap your harness from fuel pump to engine and you must swap the harness on the trany that goes into the big harness an to oxgen sensors. that little harness for trany could be why people were having problems with sn spi trany not working as they say. because a few wires are moved arounf between the two.

·
Registered
301 Posts
how much did this cost total. There is a focus for sale thats an 02 in good condition and its only $400 but with no motor... it may be worth it to throw a motor in for the right price. any special tools needed? i have a garage but i think id have to lower the engine in the mainer way [goofydrunk] and use a tree. is it pretty basic, unhook everything and then just do the reversed to the new engine to hook it up? I have time, a garage full of tools, and pretty good price on car, plus AMBITION. being 17! thanks!

heres the car
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2675629332.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts