Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its really weird it has happened to me a total of 2 times. the first time i was driving and i stopped at GI Joes to look around. well i got back in my car and went to start it and it cranked started and died. I tried again, same, so i decided i was gonna limp it home. I held my foot on the gas just a tiny bit to keep it running. Well i stopped at schucks and they ran a test with no codes. I couldnt figure it out. Well i got pissed and gave it 2 quick redline revs to see if some carbon was built up somewhere and making this do that. Well to my amazement it worked. The car ran fine, UNTIL yesturday. Same as above, it wouldnt stay running, i gave it 2 quick revs and stayed on after that. I have no major mods, just CAI, and shorty header. I have a new fuel filter cause i am sitting at like 80k on stock one. But other then that i have no clue. Has anyone else had this problem? if so what did you do to correct it?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What year is your car? Some of the earlier models had fuel pump problems, if not a recall then a TSB. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of info.
If your car is newer then I'd have to think about some other guesses...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Does it run until its in neutral with your foot off the gas? I'd suspect the idle air control valve...my car did the same thing about two years ago...as long as it was in gear or with the throttle opened past idle it would run, but if I took my foot off the gas with the car in neutral it would stall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 01. i contacted ford and they said that there wasnt a recall issue with mine. I think they are too lazy too look it up. As for the neutral. I never really tried to start it in neutral. i try to start it in park and it does it. ill contact ford again about the recall. change the fuel filter. and hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
BTW, automatic or manual transmission?

When I had my problems, if I pushed the clutch in or took the car out of gear with my foot off the gas pedal, the engine would just fall straight down to 0. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a faulty IAC valve, and basically the engine wasn't getting enough air with my foot off the pedal and it stalled every time.

It could also be a bad upstream O2 sensor...if the computer is getting bad data about the A/F ratio coming out of the engine it could be screwing up the mix, running too rich or too lean resulting in the engine cutting out.

Your problem seems to be that whatever is happening is only occuring every once in a while, and as a result its not throwing an error code. If it happened every time or most of the time you'd get a CEL as a result, and they'd be able to troubleshoot the problem through the computer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its an auto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts