Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one of the first things I did to my 03 focus 2.3 is gut the intake. I just cut the pieces I didn't want out, added a nice filter and ti ran great. Well, I was over my buddy's house and was going to change to a new AEM dryflow filter and he looked at my hack job and said I have tones of parts and couplings, we can clean this up. We took it all out, drank some beers, cut some pipe and put it back together. It looks darn good, but it won't run. It starts, rough idel for a few seconds if I am lucky, then dies. The check engine light is on. If I disconnect the MAF sensor it idles better, and runs, but not well, and dies above 2000 rpms. Is it the MAF? I called the autoparts stores and they said they can't get it. Call the dealer, but they're closed till monday and this is gonna kill me all weekend until I get it figured out. We cut the pipe that the MAF was in maybe vibration damage. It is weird. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you take it to the dealer they're gonna tell you to bugger off(if your under warrenty), since you were cutting up and replacing the intake. Some dealers don't care for modders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't wanna taker to the dealer, just might have to order the MAF there if that could be it. What could cause one to go bad?? Vibration, Impact damage, dirty? I can't imagine what else it could be, that's all we did last night. I'm sure we didn't get beer on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nobody has any clues+ its weird that when i unplug the MAF it runs better, must be the mass air right? really stuck here and it is 150 from the dealer, 70 for a used one, dont want to lay out the cash if I don't need to. Is there any way to test the one in there?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
where is your MAF? I dont see the usual piece you use with an AEM for a MAF. Did you try to put it in a different spot? That may be the problem if so..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
no, it should be ok, we based it on the focussport intake, check it out. plus, when iu unplug it runs. i am gonna order a new one and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You might have a vacuum leak. check the codes and see what they sat

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was going to say a vacuum leak as well.

Do you have a a/f ratio gauge?

If you do, and it's running all lean, it's a vac leak for sure. I just had one on mine

they're common...probably a hose split

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You might also want to try disconnecting your battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the ECU, assuming you haven't done so already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts