Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i have a burnt st project on my hands and i have a few questions.

currently the engine is running, but running rough at idle and giving misfire codes, spark plugs are good. it could very well be another wiring fault but im wondering since this car did have a cobb tuner on it that you keep plugged in, could the misfire be tune related?

another issue im running into is while the car is running, it wont go into gear. it will only go into gear if the engine is off. i know the car was 100% driving prior to this so im wondering is if there some type of electrical fault that can prevent the gear from engaging while the engine is running or if maybe since its been sitting for a few months it needs some maintenance? the clutch pedal is squishy and doesn't return to the same height as the other pedals but i attribute this to the clutch pedal spring removal.

also, the main engine harness coming from the fuse box was cut by the fire fighters which was rewired

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another thing that is interesting is im fairly sure in the focus st it will alert you to push the clutch down before starting the engine, mine doesn't do that. its a 2014 st. the wires have been checked a million times now

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Kicking this into ST Performance for now, due to the Tuner question.
Best for General Tech Chat since it's repair related, it might get bumped there later.

Afaik there is NO reason to keep the Cobb unit plugged in, EXCEPT maybe for use as a scan tool. It's used to load tunes, not tune when in place.

Clutch release does NOT sound good, you doidn't mention the year but first year ones had a recall for the line as well as the rear engine mount (line could be damaged from excessive movement).

In any case, it obviously sounds like it isn't disengaging right now, and bleeding it/checking for leaks would be the first step.

How long in storage? Was the engine compartment obviously flooded with water?
Clutch COULD be hung up with rust, BUT trying to get the pedal working comes B4 trying to break it loose (if needed).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Kicking this into ST Performance for now, due to the Tuner question.
Best for General Tech Chat since it's repair related, it might get bumped there later.

Afaik there is NO reason to keep the Cobb unit plugged in, EXCEPT maybe for use as a scan tool. It's used to load tunes, not tune when in place.

Clutch release does NOT sound good, you doidn't mention the year but first year ones had a recall for the line as well as the rear engine mount (line could be damaged from excessive movement).

In any case, it obviously sounds like it isn't disengaging right now, and bleeding it/checking for leaks would be the first step.

How long in storage? Was the engine compartment obviously flooded with water?
Clutch COULD be hung up with rust, BUT trying to get the pedal working comes B4 trying to break it loose (if needed).
the car has been sitting for around 4 months in the arizona heat with the occasional hosing from the auction people.

the one thing i have attempted was to put the car in first gear and start the engine. when i did this the car jumped forward a little.

the car was in a house fire that spread and burnt the passenger side to the beginning of the A pillar. for the driver side the fire didnt touch the fender but there is discoloration in the paint on the shock tower inside the engine bay. the reservoir is near the parts of discoloration but it looks fine to me and is full

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The clutch switch could just be out of place. If the button is not pressed in the car thinks the clutch is pressed in.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
X2 to that.

"Jumped forward a little" isn't a fully engaged clutch, just one that stuck a bit - ASSUMING it would then sit still in gear with the pedal down.

·
So mote be it
8,857 Posts
Some like to keep the Cobb plugged in and use it as gauge to monitor things (AFR/Actual Boost/Temps/Etc..) once the tune is loaded on the ECU, there is no need to keep it plugged in full time. The latest gen has a bigger/clearer screen that people like to mount in their line of sight:

Tune could/will be an issue; if the ECU is tuned for say, 93octane, catless dp and big intercooler, it may not run well on 91 with stock catted DP and smaller stock cooler. Just an example...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts