Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Old motor and transmission are ready to come out. I removed the most of the front end and radiator support. There is not much left on the front preventing a straight motor pull except the frame rail connecting the bumper. From researching it appears that Mark 1 Focus (Or maybe ST models) could remove this cross member and pull the motor straight. It looked super easy and a lot less challenging than pulling the motor from the bottom. My question is since I'm scrapping everything should I just grind off this cross member and pull the motor straight?

Not sure when the engineers decided that this frame piece should be welded to the bumper when some nice bolts should do the trick. Anyone ever cut this weld and install a bolt on brace for easy engine removal? I was thinking it should be about the same as installing a suspension lift on a 4 wheel drive.

I could really care less about the scrap car but on the next one I think a quick disconnect on the front end would make that swap a lot easier and safer.... hell you could probably pull and replace without jacking up the front end... let alone having to jack up the front end 2 or 3 feet to clear the motor out from the bottom.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts