Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A soccer mom in a Toyota Sequoyah decided to do a pit maneuver on the 2008 ford focus this morning. Cop gave her the ticket for failure to yield to oncoming traffic.... but now my gas sipper is "hurt real bad". She has full coverage from Allstate so I'm sure a check is coming. I think they will total it out since the blue book is around $4,500... and the passenger side air bags deployed. My question is from the damage below is it worth doing the salvage title and repairing her? I really enjoy this car.... but she hit that tire very hard. I am not sure if I can ever get it straight again. The back panel looks like just one entire piece? Can I farm this out at a junkyard... or is it time to buy 20lbs of bondo?

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you find someone with unlimited time and talent, maybe the rear quarter could be straightened out. More likely, you need a rear quarter panel, which is major. It could be done, but makes no sense in terms of money and/or time. It involves cutting, welding, body work, and paint.

You also need a rear bumper cover, but that's not a big deal. The rear wheel is likely bent out of position, so there's more work replacing chassis parts.

I fit were me, I would take the cash from insurance and start looking for another car. You like the car, so find the nicest used one you can. They're cheap. Stick to another Gen2 and you'll avoid the DCT trans.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would take the insurance money and buy another one if you like it.
I would upgrade find yourself a clean 2010, or 11 with more options than what you have.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The old lady does not appreciate my Focus. She already has determined that we have to get a SUV with more room. Now that the kids are getting bigger the Focus is getting cramped. Trying to steer her towards the explorers... That 4 cylinder turbo charged one peaks my interest.

I already have two Broncos that are my toys. This was my daily driver. Not a big fan of daily driving my 1996 Bronco. If this woman would have done her pit move on my Bronco I would probably still be waiting on a bail hearing.

Anyway this would be my daily if I keep it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What is it with some Women and SUV's my Wife knows better never going to happen.
I hate SUVs.
Me and my Brother grew up in a 94 Nissan Altima.
I drove a Cadillac XTS this weekend had more legroom then any SUV I have ever seen plus you could fit four dead bodies in the trunk.
I will cut you some slack though since you say you have two other vehicles that are yours.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
If there is a woman involved you're probably doomed. As others have said, if you get an OK payout, look for another Focus, maybe this time a 4-door for the kids. My bias is towards an SES or SEL. You won't pay much more than for an SE or S and the xtras are nice if it has pleather, moonroof, sound, cruise, Sync, etc., and the e I can't think of a better bargain car. Lots of old people bought them, so there are really great lightly-used specimens out there. Lady in my condo garage has a sweet blue 09 SE Coupe. I wouldn't go for a coupe usually, but it's barely been driven.

I was really itching for a new car this past spring/summer, but I've decided 1) there's nothing new I'm dying to have and 2) my car is still in great shape yet has no market or trade value, so I'm just better off keeping it.

Maybe I'll look again when 2021's come out. Top contender right now is Corolla Hatchback, but not unless Toyota finally offers Android Auto.

The old lady does not appreciate my Focus. She already has determined that we have to get a SUV with more room. Now that the kids are getting bigger the Focus is getting cramped. Trying to steer her towards the explorers... That 4 cylinder turbo charged one peaks my interest.

I already have two Broncos that are my toys. This was my daily driver. Not a big fan of daily driving my 1996 Bronco. If this woman would have done her pit move on my Bronco I would probably still be waiting on a bail hearing.

Anyway this would be my daily if I keep it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it was driveable, and it gets you to point B and back again, I'd say duct tape it back together and drive it. I've done that a few times. With any luck somebody else will hit you in the same spot and you'll get paid twice.

If the rear is out of whack, that's different. You could get it rewhacked back, more or less, but not cost effective. They're never the same again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to give a shout out to ZaCautomotive, Fliex, and aca2983. Great advice on replacing the 2008S with another MK2 with more options.

After searching for a week.... I found a 2011 SES that has everything. I looks like it was owned by a little old lady and garage kept. Only 90,000 miles and I picked it up for 5,000.

I will post some pictures and start a build thread for the 2011 upgrades. I will keep this thread for the tear down of the 2008. From what I'm seeing the 2011 will already need the PS motor mount and the cold air intake from the 2008... That should cover the $500 the insurance company charged me to keep the car.

The 2011 has an automatic. I do hear a slight whine in first and second. It still shifts fine. Anything too look at for troubleshooting? The front brake rotors appear to be shot. I get a slight jerking while heavy braking. Good news is a just replaced the front brakes on the 2008 so I got new pads to switch out with. My question is I want to repair the front brakes and not have to worry about anything. Should I just replace the rotors with OEM or are there some good aftermarket rotors?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats. At your mileage, have a transmission service done if unless you know for sure it was done already. Another minor thing is do some googling here for how to do a Sync software update. It makes it more stable and compatible with more/most phones.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,321 Posts
Great you found a vehicle. IDK if you installed new rotors on the '08 or just pad slapped it. I'd throw new rotors as well as new pads at it & flush the old brake fluid. Do a trans filter as well proper trans fluid change. I'd also change out the plugs as well as the pcv hose. For the pcv hose I went w/ the dorman brand vs the motorcraft hose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wife has officially taken possession of the 2011 SES. I completed the brakes, cold air intake, and passenger side motor mount this weekend. I have the filter and 7 quarts of Mercon LV for the transmission flush scheduled for this weekend.

Now I find this pop up on craigslist

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/canton-2010-ford-focus-se-coupe-2d-20l/6980231919.html

It is basically the same car that was wrecked. I already had plans to pull the motor/trans/ECU/harness/clutch lines/ master cylinder/pedals from the 5 speed and eventually upgrade the 2011.

But dam I could get a two year newer Focus for $2,000. Still pull the motor and transmission, but not have to worry about the all the extra crap... since the 2010 is basically the same set up.

Then I can upgrade the clutch, exhaust, and maybe a 2.3 head with everything outside the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was actually at a family owned lot (craigslist is all dealers now). They are going to have a hard time selling this one. It is in good condition. All the bells and whistles of a SE work.... But a younger kid must have owned it. It has the lunchbox delete and a glass pack. The thing is super loud. Clutch seemed really good and oil was clean. It had some decent rims but he didn't have the special socket required to remove them.... that and a cracked windshield with almost 200,000 will make it a hard sell. I will give him a month them roll up with a grand and see what he has to say.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,321 Posts
This was actually at a family owned lot (craigslist is all dealers now). They are going to have a hard time selling this one. It is in good condition. All the bells and whistles of a SE work.... But a younger kid must have owned it. It has the lunchbox delete and a glass pack. The thing is super loud. Clutch seemed really good and oil was clean. It had some decent rims but he didn't have the special socket required to remove them.... that and a cracked windshield with almost 200,000 will make it a hard sell. I will give him a month them roll up with a grand and see what he has to say.
I wouldn't buy any vehicle w/ 200K.......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I thought I would provide an update.

1) completed the transmission flush on the 2011 SES. Fluid was shot but no metal whatsoever on the magnet. Shifts like butter and no more whine. I used the Mercon LV. My half ass fix on the brakes went about as well as I thought. I just switched rotors and pads from the 2008. I still get a slight grinding noise.. but the shutter went away.

2) Now my search for another Focus is going well. I found one that interest me. From what I have seen I'm probably not going to find a 2008 -2011 for less than $1,000 for quite some time. Even 2004 to 2007 Focus in decent shape are still asking over a grand.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/roswell-2010-ford-focus/6986401163.html
I spoke to this guy and...no surprise... he is not getting any attention for the asking price. He had just replaced the clutch and flywheel a year ago. I like this one because I think I could throw 700$ at him. I would use my transmission and his clutch and flywheel. Might have to beg or borrow an alignment tool for one of you guys but a new clutch is $400... and my transmission will need one either way. I have a new windshield on mine and we can see about the check engine light. I still have my motor if needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts