Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever put Wolf’s Head Super Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. My garage swears by it. This is what they put when they flush. But I'm going to do it myself only because I don't like the flush idea. I like to remove filter first then change fluid. This for a 2004 ford focus 2.3L/ Automatic

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
There is absolutely no such thing as universal ATF, modern ATX are so varied in clutch pack materials that you are seriously risking not having exactly the right additives needed for your particular clutch material used.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm going to get Motorcraft anyways. Wolf's head is an excellent product. I know some guys who had this stuff put in their tranny and ran smoother. Of course its synthetic. We have a reputable garage here. They love the stuff. But reading so many threads on the pros and cons on traditional oils to synthetic for tranny's. I'll just go with my gut feeling and go with ford product.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Mercon V IS synthetic.That Wolf is probably an excellent product but clutch packs now can be torn up by using wrong product in them, some are still basically chemical treated paper lining. No sense in messing with that. The simple difference between Mercon (not syn)and Mercon V when V first came out had Ford flipping out as their mechs thought the two interchanged and doing so wrecked a lot of trannies. Later on they remixed the V to then work in both and now there is no Ford Mercon at all, only V type. As they found out, switching around can easily burn your -ss.

It's all about clutch material compatibility, the other parts in trans you can pretty much throw anything ATF in there and they will love it. Of course syn oil shines there as the death of all ATF is heat, where it does best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts