Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the throttle cable on my 1995 BMW 318ti today. Out of curiosity I checked to see what a cable for my SVT would cost. Sadly I discovered they're no longer made. As the car ages it seems like this is becoming more of a problem. My throttle cable is still good, but the smoothness of the new one on the BMW made think about replacing it. Another thing is the IMRC. I had to replace that ten years ago and the last time I replaced the battery I noticed that leaking acid had damaged the cable on the IMRC. I saw that a new one is now about $400 so I made a jury fix with rubber tubing and some silicone lube to keep the cable sliding. It's sad that our cars are so difficult to get parts for. I bought an oil cooler, just in case, a long time ago too, because I had a lot of corrosion on the water outlets. Fortunately ten years later it's still not leaking.

I love my SVT and it's in great condition. It brings a smile to my face whenever I drive it, but the thought that I might have to search junk yards around the country if I break something as mundane as a throttle cable really makes me wonder.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sad but true it makes me not want to drive mine .Every single part is a struggle to get and rarely are they cheap if you do manage to find them .I've seen factory shift knobs going for 100 dollars that's insanity dont even get me started on my euro headlights 300 dollars for used ones I get where your coming from soon we will all be buying nothing but junkyard parts I love my FSVT but idk if I would buy another one or mine if I would have done the research before I bought it probably not

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife has been driving mine for the last ten years or so, but I bought her a Toyota to use because I want to keep the SVT in nice shape as my hobby car. It's always been garaged so it still looks pretty good. But now I worry about driving it too much myself over these parts problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've owned mine for a year now n this is the first it's been out since late fall it sits in the garage for winters now that I own it .which it looks like the original owner garaged it to by the shape it's in I lucked out finding it in the area I live in Ohio I'm the second owner but I get almost anxiety just driving it I dont take it to walmart or any stores where I cant park it in an isolated spot lol there is 0 door dings and I plan on keeping it that way lol it's a great little car for sure but it's hard to keep em that way with no replacement parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts