Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anyone have pics/part numbers for the fix-a-flat stuff that fills the the spare tire well? I'm sick of the lost space.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you can get fix-a-flat type stuff (green slime it a popular brand as well) at any auto-store or wal-mart, etc.

what did you do? just take out your spare and the foam support?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow, yeah that is a big difference!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I guess I'll leave my full-size spare in for now. But if I need to do any major moving... it's coming out!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not willing to go without a spare at all, but I'd definitely be willing to trade the full-size spare setup from my Titanium hatch for a standard size spare setup from a Titanium hatch without the handling package. I think I'll extend the offer to someone local to western Washington first, though. :)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'm not willing to go without a spare at all...
Err on the side of caution... either way, I'll might as well make use of my AAA...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can get fix-a-flat type stuff (green slime it a popular brand as well) at any auto-store or wal-mart, etc.

what did you do? just take out your spare and the foam support?
Yup.

I'm looking for the official Ford setup. Anyone?

·
Registered
781 Posts
i looked through fordparts.com but couldn't seem to find the foam support, but their search engine is horrible and i was looking through categories and part diagrams. i found the floor felt liner, but not anything under it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm not willing to go without a spare at all, but I'd definitely be willing to trade the full-size spare setup from my Titanium hatch for a standard size spare setup from a Titanium hatch without the handling package. I think I'll extend the offer to someone local to western Washington first, though. :)
Just a thought, if you hit a sinkhole or some nut-job forces you up a curb, having that 5th wheel stored away at home will save you big $$ (who knows what Ford gets for one, $300??) Now if you are in an apartment, storage would not be as easy as I make it sound.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That wheel isn't a wheel like the others are. It's just a full-size tire (16" utility wheel with ContiPro tire or something on it) instead of the little doughnut wheel/tire).

·
Registered
712 Posts
That wheel isn't a wheel like the others are. It's just a full-size tire (16" utility wheel with ContiPro tire or something on it) instead of the little doughnut wheel/tire).
Ah-ha, I did not know that. I totally understand why you would want the swap out. I don't understand why Ford did that? [screwy] Doesn't seem worth losing the storage space because how long would anyone drive with the spare anyway being its not a matching wheel??

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My brother told me that a lot of tire places charge extra if they have to remove that fix-a-flat slime from the inside of the rim when replacing the tire.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It is my understanding that slime is not compatible with pressure monitoring equipment.
neither is a flat tire..

slime will "gum up" the sensor. yes. but if you don't have any alternatives and you're sitting on the side of the road, what are you going to do? worry about the dashboard light, or fix your tire and get going?

if you don't want to carry any spare tire at all you're kind of limited in options, carry/do nothing and call for help, or carry a can of fix-a-flat and be able to limp to somewhere that can take care of you.

as for tire repair places and slimed tires. some will work on them. some won't. some will charge you extra. your mileage may vary... [loveff]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found that a pool noodle cut to size works a lot better for filling the voided space on mine. They are cheap also, and works quite well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts