Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 4 days ago a 2014 ford focus with 55000km from a dealer in red deer, we went on the test drive and I kinda thought maybe I felt a minor slipping in the transmission, the guy said oh that's normal and when I punched it the car got up and went so I thought not much of it, the following night after I signed the papers for this car i took my wife for a drive to the beach and when i accelerated slightly i felt a vibration and the slipping was getting worse. Later that night I started reading online and found myself in a world of transmission issues with these..... post after post of pissed off people, so Friday last week I called the dealer, let me remind you I have had this car 5 days today, anyway I called the ford dealer not the dealer I bought from as my car is on warranty still and ford knows well of this cause there being sued so she immediately says ya bring your car in we will give you a loaner cause we're gonna need your car for a few days!!!!! Like holy crap 5 days I've owned this car and I feel like the guys I bought it from shoulda known about the recall and lawsuits and I'm also going to ask, at this point is there an actual fix for these cars as I really do like the car just not right now!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't help!!!! I've read alot of posts about how people are mostly happy after the new clutches and seals are installed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just hope that it's an actual fix not something temporary or useless, it really is a nice car...... but I have to be able to trust it as we go to bc alot and trips alot so I need a reliable vehicle

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
After my latest clutch pack was installed, the car has been running (mostly) fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seriously thinking about asking if either the dealer I signed with or ford will give a different vehicle, I haven't read anything good........sounds like I've made a huge mistake

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I'm finding all this out now!!!! Car is booked in sept 12 the dealer says they are doing the tcm and clutches, I told them I was concerned and they said they just keep doing clutches over and over again...... so I guess we'll see, I have a trip to bc coming up Sept 21 hope I have my car back and it doesn't leave me stranded they will have a bad day at the ford dealer if I do

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had the shutter so I took it in for a check. They replaced the "clutch packs", it's been fine since. They did it in a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 SE Hatch with the DCT and I have had no issues whatsoever. I have just hit 122,000 miles on the car and it still has the original clutch packs and the original transmission programming. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. If you treat the transmission like a manual and understand how it works, you will never have problems with the transmission.
If you are sitting at a stop and begin lifting your foot off the brake, the vehicle will shudder, because what is happening is you are actually telling the car to disengage the clutch and it is doing so. Think of the brake pedal like a Brake and Clutch pedal on a tractor, when you start letting out the brake it disengages the clutch and you begin to move.
I love the DCT. I am getting 47 MPG highway and 28 MPG city, but that is mostly because I live two blocks from work and I drive every day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am learning how to to drive this car, had it out last night.... it does slip a bit from take off but I'm learning if I let off a bit before it shifts then put your foot into it she takes off like nothing I've drove before, I'm sure after ford fixes it and a bit more practice I'm gonna absolutely love it, I'm enjoying it more everyday now that I have a better understanding of the transmission

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
If you treat the transmission like a manual and understand how it works, you will never have problems with the transmission.
I'm glad you have not had any problems but that is unfortunately not always the case, especially with the 2012 model with early revision clutch packs and seals leaking oil on the clutches.

Understanding that this is basically an automated manual transmission and driving it that way does help but it won't cure a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just bought 4 days ago a 2014 ford focus with 55000km from a dealer in red deer, we went on the test drive and I kinda thought maybe I felt a minor slipping in the transmission, the guy said oh that's normal and when I punched it the car got up and went so I thought not much of it, the following night after I signed the papers for this car i took my wife for a drive to the beach and when i accelerated slightly i felt a vibration and the slipping was getting worse. Later that night I started reading online and found myself in a world of transmission issues with these..... post after post of pissed off people, so Friday last week I called the dealer, let me remind you I have had this car 5 days today, anyway I called the ford dealer not the dealer I bought from as my car is on warranty still and ford knows well of this cause there being sued so she immediately says ya bring your car in we will give you a loaner cause we're gonna need your car for a few days!!!!! Like holy crap 5 days I've owned this car and I feel like the guys I bought it from shoulda known about the recall and lawsuits and I'm also going to ask, at this point is there an actual fix for these cars as I really do like the car just not right now!!
My wifes 14 started to shudder at 55,000 miles, it took one week to get it into the shop then one day to fix. 30,000 miles later on the newest clutch and program and 0 issues.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 2012 SE Hatch with the DCT and I have had no issues whatsoever. I have just hit 122,000 miles on the car and it still has the original clutch packs and the original transmission programming. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. If you treat the transmission like a manual and understand how it works, you will never have problems with the transmission.
If you are sitting at a stop and begin lifting your foot off the brake, the vehicle will shudder, because what is happening is you are actually telling the car to disengage the clutch and it is doing so. Think of the brake pedal like a Brake and Clutch pedal on a tractor, when you start letting out the brake it disengages the clutch and you begin to move.
I love the DCT. I am getting 47 MPG highway and 28 MPG city, but that is mostly because I live two blocks from work and I drive every day.
My 17 does not have that issue, the programming creeps the car like a traditional automatic. The cars can shudder because of clutch contamination due to faulty seals. That was the reason behind the clutch replacement on the 14. To my understanding the seals are redesigned as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks alot guys, I am really starting to feel better about all this, plus it's kinda fun teaching yourself a different way to drive

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a '12 with a 5 speed. The 5 speed cars are great!! I found out about the DCT issues after I had already bought mine and after reading all the horror stories people were having with the DCT, i am so GLAD I went with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about asking if either the dealer I signed with or ford will give a different vehicle, I haven't read anything good........sounds like I've made a huge mistake
We are in the same boat as you. Signed the sales contract on what appeared to be a great new vehicle for us then I joined this site to do some research and found out we may have made a very bad decision.

It is buyer beware in the vehicle world and I definitely should have done my homework before signing any sales contract ! [?|]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
We are in the same boat as you. Signed the sales contract on what appeared to be a great new vehicle for us then I joined this site to do some research and found out we may have made a very bad decision.

It is buyer beware in the vehicle world and I definitely should have done my homework before signing any sales contract ! [?|]
This^^^+ I would of thought ppl would do that as on any other product.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This^^^+ I would of thought ppl would do that as on any other product.
In my case it was a spontaneous decision, we went to the dealer to look at a different vehicle totally. The Focus had some appeal so we decided on it and signed the sales contract before we left, then I joined this site that night and read about all the nightmares.

The next day I talked with a few different friends employed at various Ford dealers and they straight up stated the Ford Focus DCT/TCM issues have REALLY affected sales and Ford's reputation, at least here in Canada anyways...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts