Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I live in the middle of WI, and the focus is my daily driver. I would like to lower it, but I don't want it to be too bad in the winter. Let me know some of your personal experiences that you WI or other states with snow have.

I'm debating on one of these spring sets:
Progress Technology - 1.8"
Eibach Sportline - 2" - 2.2"

I run 185/65/14 in the winter and 205/40/17 in the summer and I don't want to rub with either of these tires. So if you think that I would rub with the Sportlines, please say so because I don't want to have to deal with rubbing at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
from what i have seen you wont rub with those. and i'm dropped on a prokit . thats only 1.5 inches though. i'd suggest adding new rear arms to that since mine were out for 2 winters and i had to do it. its not that bad that way. pomps on wisconsin ave here charged me around 300 i think for the drop. might i suggest that if you get teh sportlines to also do the eibach sways and moog endlinks in the front. that way suspension is all adressed at once and wont need work for a while.

of course a few freinds wit hair tools and know how can get it done much cheaper. (aka feed us,lol.)

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You make no sense, lol. You'll be fine with an 1.5" drop though. Just get the FRPP from Mike at Hilbish and some of the CFM rear camber kit, and you'll be ok.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
I've been maxed out on coilovers before which is around 3-3.5" drop running 14's.

What is the offset on the summer rims? That will tell if you will rub or not. I am a huge fan of the progress springs. I think they sit right, but with that tiny tire you have you will look like you are not dropped at all.

Winters are not too bad, you have to be careful of how you drive and watch for stuff in the road. I've made it through 16-18" of fresh snow when my car was slammed that trucks wouldnt go through.

It takes some time to get used to driving in it with a slammed car, but not horribly bad.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been maxed out on coilovers before which is around 3-3.5" drop running 14's.

What is the offset on the summer rims? That will tell if you will rub or not. I am a huge fan of the progress springs. I think they sit right, but with that tiny tire you have you will look like you are not dropped at all.

Winters are not too bad, you have to be careful of how you drive and watch for stuff in the road. I've made it through 16-18" of fresh snow when my car was slammed that trucks wouldnt go through.

It takes some time to get used to driving in it with a slammed car, but not horribly bad.
Here are the specs to my rims:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+400168+306318+4294755964+115&autoview=sku

And yeah, I want the drop to be noticeable, but not too low. So with you saying that if I go with the Progress springs, it will be unnoticeable, I will probably go with the Sportlines. I'll just be sure to look out for potholes, dips, etc. Hopefully these dampers will support them.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
you linked an 18" rim and listed 17" tires. Which one is it?

I am saying with the low profile tire you listed the drop will not look as much as it really is. Why not run stock SVT size at 215/45/17?

~Kevin

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh... I didn't realize that I linked to the wrong one.
This should be the right one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+400168+306318+4294793320+115&autoview=sku

And I bought these rims with the tires on them already. And I planned to just keep using these. Then when I needed to buy new ones, I would continue with this size. Would you recommend that SVT size? Would they rub with Sportlines then?

Also, if it helps, here is a quick pic of my car (yeah it's dirty... I know):

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
COUGH
but i know mikes on sportlines and huge tires with no issues, i have the pro kit and put my stockers on for winter and never have issues... its all in how you drive it

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I am running the Saleen setup, and I haven't had much of a problem., but when there is over 3 inches of snow, I drive my truck.

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
last summer i was running sportlines on my svt i had no problem at all getting around in the snow. i was just running on some stock 16's and the stock focus tires

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i beat teh crap outta my prokit,lol. and i havent rubbed or bottomed yet!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts