Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the 7 multicolor LED Underbody kit for my girlfriends focus and Im having a bit of trouble finding a good place to run the wires. Under the wheel we've found where the wires run through to the under side of the hood but theres no extra room. So it seems Im going to have to drill somewhere and I need some advice. She has an 01 sedan LX Focus, if that matters at all. Please any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
year of car? and body style will help us out... but id say you can drill a hole safely (look where your drilling of course) by under the dash on the drivers side, that is what i did for my 05 zx3 to run power to my amp.. its simple and easy, may require the removing of the tire and well covering.. good luck others can help more then me

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^

he siad right in his post.

01 Sedan LX Focus.

When I installed mine, we went right through the firewall....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is it an auto or a manual? If it is an auto, just drill in one of the holes where the clutch would be connected on an MTX focus. If its MTX I'm not sure man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an Automatic, so what does it look like where the clutch would be? And also what exactly is a firewall.....sorry for my illiteracy guys...lol

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
WHOA WHOA. wait. if you dont know what a firewall is, please stop this installation immediately!! please have someone with a bit more xperience do this for you. you need to stand back and watch. learn before you dive into it. you will thank me later.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
^^^^

he siad right in his post.

01 Sedan LX Focus.

When I installed mine, we went right through the firewall....
haha thanks matt for pointing out im a dumb ass.... i noticed after i posted but didnt care to edit it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the whole installation seems easy, I just need to find a route for the wires to access the battery and the control panel for the LEDs in the car. It pretty much seems just as easy as installing a sound system. Just those damn wires....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I ran all mine into the car through drilled holes left no wires under the car

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
^^i like that and if i do mine thats how it will be done... people around here like to cut the wires running to your neon kits, ive had many friends get it done to them while they were in a movie... just snip the wires cuz they were all run outside.... hide it all lol and good luck, post pics

·
Registered
214 Posts
The hole you need to drill through is right where the clutch would be. To locate it just pull back the carpet and in the firewall it should have what looks like 2 plastic filler pieces, they are black and VERY easy to drill through. If you still cannot ifnd where to drill i will try to get a picture.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Those undercar kits are a real piss off to install. I've done several in the past, the thing also is you want to SERIOUSLY make sure when you do the connections, HEAT SHRINK the hell out of the connections to waterproof them as well, run WIRE LOOM and ZIP STRAPS along every single inch of the wiring under the car. Also, there are wire ties, that you can use self tapping screws for to secure the wiring to the bottom of the car. That way you will not get any rattling of the wiring under the car on the highway/freeway which will surely piss ya off and is big time annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks soo much for the picture, and thats exactly where I was planning on drilling I just wanted to make sure it was the right place. Also this is just sounding alot like I got myself into more than I can handle, so I may just try to find someone thats experienced.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I installed my a diffrent way there is hardly no room in my 06 in the hood so i mounted my streetglow transformer in my trunk and just ran the switch through the trim in the car and I have the wires in the trunk from under the muffler behind the sheilding i drilled a hole into the plastic hole and i just tied my strobes the same way cause I really wasent sure were to drill lol didnt wanna hit anything bad. PhilMayfield thanks for posting that picture it will help me out when its time for me to put my 12's and my other stuff in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts