Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a huge proponent of aftermarket head units but i must say, i am absolutly in love with my 6disc in dash player. the problem lies in the lack of preamps tho... on an earlier thread i heard someone mention a wiring adapter that can create a place to tap an amp into the stock head unit, so if anyone has any idea what that is, where i can get it, what it costs etc. that'd be great. Secondly im going to be putting in some green under dash and under seat neons. I'd like them to have their own toggle switch AND come on when the doors open... (like the maplights...) ANY idea how i can do this? i'd be more than appreciative... i've always been a DIY'r but this car is 4 days old and i dont wanna experiment without some input first... thanks.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You cant tap into the stock headunit, you need to tap into the rear speakers. What you need is an RCA line convertor and tap that into the speakers. Then you would use that to connect to your amp.

Moving to Car Audio & Electronics

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i didnt notice this section at 1:30 am last night... ok so where would i get that? and if i put an RCA tap into it from my rear speakers, does that mean my rear speakers wont work anymore?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I keep reading about RCA line converters as the way to hook up an amp to the stock head unit. A line converter is not needed if the amp has high-level inputs. The line converter is built in to the amp.
You didn't say why you plan on adding an amp. A 4 channel amp is needed for use with all the speakers. A single channel or 2 channel bridgeable amp will work for a sub.
If you are hooking up the amp for more power to the 4 door speakers, you will re-route the speaker leads to the high level inputs on the amp. The amp speaker outputs are sent back to the speakers.
If you are adding a subwoofer, you would just tap in to one of the pairs the speaker outputs without disconnecting them.
You can use either the front or the rear but remember that the fader wil affect the input to the sub if you fade to the opposite pair.
Tapping in to the speakers correctly will not disable them.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
My guess would be the use of relays on the door ams that send a ground current when the door is closed and open. I'm not great with understand all the configurations of relays but i made it so that my radio stays on when you tunr off the car until you open a door by using relays. You can do a similiar thing with relays so that your neons go on when you open the doors. If you understand relays at all it would help alot. otherwise you'll have to do some research. but oneof the wires you'll need to use for this would be the black and yellow wire on the drivers side behind the kick panel in the top right hand corner. If you onlt use that wire the neons will only come on when you open that single door. If you want them to turn on when you open the other doors you'll have to find the other door trigger wires, making it a little harder, use a multimeter for that. you can get cheap relays with wire harnesses from partsexpress.com , i think those should work. you'll have to ask someone else what exactly you need to do with the relays. hope taht helps and good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
This crappy drawing shows what i did when i put a light in my trunk except i didnt use the dome light to piggy back the ground for the relay. In this case the ground becomes the switching mechanizm as it is with the focus interior lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts