Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. So I just pulled the 2.0 automatic out of my 2007 and put in a 2.3 manual. Is there anyway to use the automatic wiring harness with the manual transmission? I've been told there's a way, but wasn't sure how to do it.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
OMG you make it sound so casual. Yes, there is a way. The ATX has more wires to/from the PCM than an MTX... So you should not need to add additional wiring between those two points. Your mission Jim, is to examine the Ford wire diagram of each trans type, and rewire the PCM -to- transmission interface. -You have the Ford wire diagram right?

Also; your adding a clutch pedal and related wiring for that.

Also; you need a new PCM tune.

I recently heard that there is a Engine/Trans swap section here at FF. Maybe you have or should go there for some good info. Sorry, I do not have the Mod info your looking for. Nice, aggressive and very cool mod ur doing. Congrats!

Do you have a Mod & build thread for this mission? -or is this post a catfish like prank?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
She's been talking about this before starting the project, don't think it's a prank.

Maybe I should move this to the Engine & Trans Swap section for looks & future reference.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, definitely a catfish like prank. Let me tell you.

Thank you sailor for helping out. This has been one of the most stressful things I've done. Not to mention I have a deadline. My car needs to be running by tomorrow. So HELPFUL information would be nice.

I don't have time to create a "mod & build thread for this mission". I just need a simple answer.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For a quick way to try starting, check how the neutral safety switch works on the old shifter & jumper it so it thinks it's in park/neutral. Clutch safety instead can be done later as desired.

Plug check/watch fuel trims with a scan tool to see if you're safe assuming that gets it running. Should have a tune to get it proper I'd guess in the longer run.

Generic advice for the emergency.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you jump the neutral safety switch?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not enough responses here, putting it in General tech for more quick looks (can move it back later)

I don't have one for reference, that's why I mentioned checking the switch to see what terminals connected in park/neutral to know where to jump it. Manual is simple, two contact plug & a paper clip can jump it.

This one for the MkIII gives some theory, need someone with automatic experience for the mk1.5 to confirm how it works on yours: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449017

Here's one from focaljet on zetec wiring changes, haven't found a duratec specific thread yet - only ones that say to do it as directed in places like this:http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...orums.focaljet.com/shift/518...iring-how.html

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can figure something out.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Probably connecting pin 6 to pin 9 of the ATX range sensor connector may get you starting. It did at least on earlier models. Gonna need speed sensor data too.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Moved this to the "Engine & Transmission Swap" section as it seems more appropriate here than in General Tech.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know you are looking for a quick answer, unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the wiring on these cars...
What I WOULD suggest though is hitting your local wrecking yard and snagging a manual trans wiring harness and swapping it over. Woulf make for a cleaner/simpler setup.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea. Tried that. I live in a small town. Only have 3 junk yards and they don't have any Focuses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts