Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm going all out, redoing my system with 3 amps and all new door speakers and two subs. i'm going to be running dual 500W RMS TMA mono amps and a single TMA speaker amp, now my question is should i be running a 2 or 4 channel amp? the Alpine iDA-X100 is the head unit i plan on getting
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500IDAX100&tp=5684
it has 3 preamp inputs, for front/rear/subs, so will this head unit work with my amp combo?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
It will work, but if I were you I would add a crossover and a cap for the subs . You will need a fuse block too for the set up .
You will have more control over your sound with a crossover. With the crossovers I have I ran 1 set of RCA cables from the front to the input of the crossover and from the crossover then you run your rca cables to the amps .

I like my tunes to sound like I'm at a concert .

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^now if you run all that off of one RCA you would lose any control over your sub that the head unit might have. Crossovers are a good thing though. You can find one that has more than one input and you use all of you RCA outs and still have fader control (you know front to back fade) If you run everything off of one you have alot less control over everything. I would also run a 4 ch. amp for the door speakers. That way you will have fade control still and the speakers and amp would be matched better.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Crossover really would be unnecessary since the amps you will be using will have a crossover built in them... I would suggest picking up the alpine IMPRINT system for that radio....It will auto eq your car or you can adjust it yourself to improve the sound quality inside the car.

also you are going to have to run a decent size power wire to run all 3 amps...I would suggest running a 1/0 AWG power to a 3 way fused distribution block....(you will have a total of 4 fuses...1 main fuse and a fuse for every amp)....you are going to be looking at a fairly extensive install so i would suggest getting a friend to help (provided they know what they are doing) or having someone do the work for you.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
All my amps do have built in crossovers but I like the extra tweak from the separate crossover .
And mrfatride is correct about all the wiring being a pain in the butt. For my installs that I have done on my own usually takes me a couple of days fishing new wire for speakers and such .

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, actually the wiring doesn't have me too worried, I've got the rear seat taken out too so i already have a good place for a box and an easy place to access wires. and i'm an engineering student so i totally understand the power side of things...its the signal side that confuses me.

so could somebody link me an example of one of these crossovers that you are talking about? i know what they are, but i wanna see one for exactly what you're telling me to do.

are you saying that if i have my head unit with a front input, rear input, and sub input, i can run the 4 channel amp into a crossover so that it merges signal into just a front and rear? and then how do i merge the two subs to go into one input?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
do yourself a favor and get this
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=500PXAH100&search=alpine+imprint

and this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jjfu92WUncr/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=500KTXH100

that will get you setup with a sound processor.....has the active crossover built in that you can adjust....easiest thing for the setup you got....as far as signal goes its pretty straight forward.....you have a pair of front, rear, and sub preouts (rca's) that you will run to the correct amp

·
Banned
263 Posts
bcae1.com

the12volt.com

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do i get that one sub output into the two sub amps i'll be running? do i run one sub amp into the next sub amp and then run that amp into the imprint processor?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
or most amps have a pass through so you could run rca's from one of the sub amps to the other sub amp....either way will work though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts