Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice Audiobahn 4-channel amp I wanna put in my car, my only question is regarding the wiring to the speakers. I was thinking of tapping into the stock wiring and run those wires over to the output of the amp, this way I wouldn't have to run all new wires. When I replaced the front speakers, the stock wiring did look rather wimpy.

Anybody know any easy ways to run new wires to the front door speakers? I'm going to amplify the rear speakers as well, but those should be easier to get at once I figure out how to switch out the speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea i would just use the wires from the stereo. I think that would be the easiest way to do it. But wait a little bit and someone on here will give you some ideas.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i used what is called a "speed wire" from best buy

it is a solid blue wire, about as thick as 4awg...

it contains mutliple wires, a remote wire, and enough wire to go from the radio to the amp

run it just like 4awg power wire, and youre set

its better to run all new wire, but i didnt want to pull apart the back panels to do the install

works fine for me. great quality, and id highly reccommend it

·
Registered
0 Posts
i used what is called a "speed wire" from best buy

it is a solid blue wire, about as thick as 4awg...

it contains mutliple wires, a remote wire, and enough wire to go from the radio to the amp

run it just like 4awg power wire, and youre set

its better to run all new wire, but i didnt want to pull apart the back panels to do the install

works fine for me. great quality, and id highly reccommend it
Yes X2 on that [thumb]

all new wire please.
and X2 on Billy's post

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the power wire I'm worried about, its running the individual wires to each speaker. Seems like the front speakers are going to be the toughest because the speaker wires run through a harness that goes through the door, not sure how to run separate wire through that, seems like the wires are pretty tight into the harness.

Has anyone run new speaker wire to the front speakers? If so, how did you do it?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
It's not the power wire I'm worried about, its running the individual wires to each speaker. Seems like the front speakers are going to be the toughest because the speaker wires run through a harness that goes through the door, not sure how to run separate wire through that, seems like the wires are pretty tight into the harness.

Has anyone run new speaker wire to the front speakers? If so, how did you do it?
speed wire goes from the harness of your existing speakers, behind the radio, to the amp..

its hard to explain, but it has all the wires, built into one wire

so its has 4 sets of two wires, one for each speaker. therre is no pulling of panels off, just run the wire

ill try to get pics of my car later tonight

·
Registered
56 Posts
"it is a solid blue wire, about as thick as 4awg..."

If its as thick as 4awg its not going to go through the wiring harness
into the door. Get you some good quality 18awg or 16awg speaker
wire and try fishing that through with a wire shirt hanger.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
"it is a solid blue wire, about as thick as 4awg..."

If its as thick as 4awg its not going to go through the wiring harness
into the door. Get you some good quality 18awg or 16awg speaker
wire and try fishing that through with a wire shirt hanger.
You don't understand what it is. It is the size of 4awg with a bung of wires in it. You run it to the amp and then to the stereo and use the wires for the speakers off of the harness, which makes it easier so you don't have to go thru the door.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speed wire is not the answer to my question.

I'd like to run larger speaker wire through the doors to the door speakers. Has anyone done this? If so, how?

I'm concerned with tapping into the factory wire because I doubt it'll support the 100x4 my amp produces for power. The wire looked awfully dinky.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Well honestly you are most likely gonna blow your speakers if you are gonna run them on 100 watts rms. And the wires would be alringht but its all up to you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought aftermarket Pioneer speakers which I plan to install along with the amp. The amp is 100 watts x 4 RMS when 2 ohm speakers are used and 50 x 4 RMS when 4 ohm speakers are used. So if I run the amp on 4 ohms, which would be 50 watts per speaker, would stock wiring be fine? I'm thinkin for 50 watts it is, but 100, maybe not.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought aftermarket Pioneer speakers which I plan to install along with the amp. The amp is 100 watts x 4 RMS when 2 ohm speakers are used and 50 x 4 RMS when 4 ohm speakers are used. So if I run the amp on 4 ohms, which would be 50 watts per speaker, would stock wiring be fine? I'm thinkin for 50 watts it is, but 100, maybe not.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
263 Posts
there is NO reason to replace the the factory speaker wire at this level of performance. the wire quality from the factory is better than everything but the best aftermarket wire. unless you are going into high powered components you will never see a difference in anything running off the factory wire to new wire. considering the new wire will most likely be of lesser quality. you are gonna ruin your SQ more by using a low grade amplifier than by ever using factory wires. just run the wire from the amp to behind the radio. just make sure to disconnect them from the radio and not just t-tap them in. also solder is your friend.

·
Banned
263 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
dude dont waste your time re running new speaker wire to the doors. the stock wire is more than enough to run a amp on pioneer speakers. get yourself some speed wire and mount the amp in the trunk. run the speedwire under the carpet and under the door sill up into the dash behind the radio then cut the speaker wires to the front and rear door speakers and butt connect them to the corresponding wires in the speed wire. then connect the remote wire via butt connector to a fused power to the stereo. connect the other ends of the speed wire to the 4 channels of the amplifier and the remote wire to the remote slot on the amp. power and ground the amp and your set. just hook the pioneer speakers up to the stock door speaker wires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts