Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my zetec's ignition coil was changed a week or so ago when I changed it I noticed the 3 wires that are usually in a harness that connect to the bottom front of the coil weren't in the harness they each have a metal connector on them and are plugged in separately there is, a black and orange wire, a bright blue and green wire, and a black and green wire. Well the orange and black wire is connected directly to my negative battery terminal. So my question is, is this wired correctly? And could this be the cause of an engine misfire? Also, if any one knows the order of the wires going into the coil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
WELCOME to Focus Fanatics!!!
This is a pic of the pig tail I snipped off my totaled '02 SVT, however I do believe it is the same part as on a regular zetec motor. You can see which wire go where and how none of them are pulled or showing any bare wire. Should be Green/Black, Green/Blue, Orange/Black if you were looking at it like the pic.

As far as what cylinder # plug wires go where on the coil pack, there should be numbers on the coil pack that indicate which plug wire should be put on where. Like this:

Hope that helps!!

Reactions: BC_ZX3

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Not right. The two outside wires go to the PCM so it can control timing, one going to ground will work but no timing changes made to it. Fix, fix...............the middle wire is supposed to be 12 volt power supply to coil.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I think the cause of some possible confusion is that the OP is assuming the orange/black wire on the coil plug is the same one that termintates at the battery post; not so. (And yes a different single orange/black wire is supposed to be attached at the battery post.)
Ford uses the orange/black wire colour in mutiple electrical circuits. If you bothered to unravel and expose the orange/black wire from the wiring harness at the coil plug (don't!), you'd see that it goes to the PCM, not the battery, as amc has stated.
If you have a misfire, small cracks, corrosion or brittleness in the two outer ignition coil wires can be the problem. Replacement of the connector is the usual fix.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Very possible, didn't think of that. They use the same color keyed wires in many places on the cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feed back, I will try to repair the wires if there is any problems with them. Thank you again, love the at just hate the headaches lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.