Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
Joined
·
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is my problem. I recently found out I melted some power wires coming off of my battery. Does anyone know why this might have happened? We have ruled out heat from the turbo. It looks like the wires possibly got to hot internally and melted.


 

·
BACON?
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Is it cranking slow? battery light on? dead battery? It looks like current was to high, which created heat melting the cable.

I would think that it would be either the starter or the alternator causing the excess current flow. Because of the fact that you did not mention any burnt fuses. The cable could have also shorted for a couple seconds, causing the melt.

look for any signs of burn near the cable routing or any visual clue's.
 

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
Joined
·
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the battery is less than a year old. Cranks just fine and no battery light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
Anything replaced recently on the car: starter, alternator?

Or could be one of the battery cables lost it's insulation passing over the chasis/transaxle/block. See any burn/arcing/ melted metal near the length of the battery cables to the starter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
From 1bille1
"""terminal corrosion, loose ground or positive clamp. """

I agree! [30+ year electronic technician in trade]

Now for me to be positive I would have to inspect everything but if the melting occurred near the battery terminals then the battery terminals got hot because of poor crimp connections. IF you want to make your own cables then hammering on the terminal to make a connection just will not do. IF I was going to make my own cables then I would have to go to a welding shop where they will make gas tight crimps or buy a proper hydraulic crimper
 

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
Joined
·
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could have power touching ground somewhere.
I'm starting to it was this. My fuse holder on my amp wire was broken. Also it was that wire that was the most damaged. The main power wire in only missing some of the jacket. Also mine replacing the main power wire is there away to safely repair the jacket since the wire it self is in good condition. I dont have the $90 to replace it right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
As an electronic technician also....sounds like a power circuit is shorted to ground, but that's just a start. Use your multimeter and check for shorts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,368 Posts
No, there is not really a 'good' way to repair the wire jacket. Also, depending on your terminations, they might be shot as well (if there pressure terms then there most certainly compromised as the high temp made the wire expand). Per mikeeshaq, you need to get new wire and services of a hydraulic crimper if you want to make your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
I'm starting to it was this. My fuse holder on my amp wire was broken. Also it was that wire that was the most damaged. The main power wire in only missing some of the jacket. Also mine replacing the main power wire is there away to safely repair the jacket since the wire it self is in good condition. I dont have the $90 to replace it right now.
Check out Rockauto.com
They have the starter cables , even Motorcraft from $45.00
 

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
Joined
·
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i replaced the amp power wire and spiced in a new section of power wire for the fog lamps and didn't do a bad job soldering if I do say so my self. I even used heat shrink to keep it water tight.

 

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
Joined
·
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here is the cause. Amp fuse holder broke and grounded on something. You can see the burn marks in this pic.

 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top