Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This randomly happened. Water spray works, but wipers do not. There is no motor sound when I engage them. I've checked the 20amp fuse under the hood, and it does not appear blown, and the manual says that is the only fuse. Is there possibly a relay or another fuse somewhere else? This is in a 2014 SE.

The only thing that has changed is I replaced my radio with a Kenwood headunit and a Maestro RR to retain Sync, is it possible this may have something to do with it?

I hope someone has an idea before I take it in to be serviced.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to MkIII section, more general info. on Wiper system here. (really belongs in General Tech Chat for DIY repairs).

The fun part is that they are 'computer controlled', and hopefully reprogram MIGHT help.
Messed up network and you've got wiring to redo. USUALLY reprogram is just for out of sync/not swiping where desired.

NOT mechanically linked between sides, TWO separate motors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could be a total long shot, but I suppose you could try pulling the negative battery cable and letting it sit for a while, to restart / reset everything... You could also try hooking the factory radio / wiring back up (not a total reinstall but just hook up) and give the wipers a go. If they work after that you'll know it has something to do with the aftermarket wiring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moved to MkIII section, more general info. on Wiper system here. (really belongs in General Tech Chat for DIY repairs).

The fun part is that they are 'computer controlled', and hopefully reprogram MIGHT help.
Messed up network and you've got wiring to redo. USUALLY reprogram is just for out of sync/not swiping where desired.

NOT mechanically linked between sides, TWO separate motors.
Could be a total long shot, but I suppose you could try pulling the negative battery cable and letting it sit for a while, to restart / reset everything... You could also try hooking the factory radio / wiring back up (not a total reinstall but just hook up) and give the wipers a go. If they work after that you'll know it has something to do with the aftermarket wiring.
i thought i read somewhere about the battery ground wire being the culprit
This is exactly what it ended up being. Undid the battery while I did the oil change, reconnected it afterwards and they work!

Did you check the relay.
there's not a relay, at least not that I could find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wanted to add that I also have had issues with my wipers. One time they wouldn't shut off for about 5 minutes. Yesterday I couldn't get them to turn on until I turned the car off and on about 3-4 times then finally they started working. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Very dangerous when you actually need to use them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for following up on this. Same thing happened to me and resetting the car by disconnecting the negative terminal worked perfectly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mines doing the same thing....I guess I'll try disconnecting the battery too then..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me but it’s evem dangerous because i was on the highway when it started pouring . How do i disconnect the battery

·
Registered
177 Posts
In case anyone doesn't know also, the battery on these, at least on my 2013 SE sedan, is located in a box almost against the firewall basically in front of the driver. There is a cover on the box, so you need to remove that to get at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In case anyone doesn't know also, the battery on these, at least on my 2013 SE sedan, is located in a box almost against the firewall basically in front of the driver. There is a cover on the box, so you need to remove that to get at it.
I have a 2015 ford focus ST, the drivers side wiper stop in a straight up position, passengers side continues working just fine. Pretty dangerous in down pours, I have to keep turning off and back on to get it to work. They have replaced everything or so they say,( Motor, Linkage, Arm and just yesterday the blade) now they want to charge me for repairs lol "Keep the car BRO." I bought it in 2017 with close to 50,000, ( it has 53,555 now) and they already knew that it had a wiper problem. The car has a lot of quirks... window switch sticks, transmission sticks, downgrade idiot light sticks, and sometime it will not reach operating temp, so the AC won't work, if I shut it off and let sit for about 15 minutes then restart, things go back to normal for awhile. Crazy car. No more fords in my future! Battery is hard to get at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This randomly happened. Water spray works, but wipers do not. There is no motor sound when I engage them. I've checked the 20amp fuse under the hood, and it does not appear blown, and the manual says that is the only fuse. Is there possibly a relay or another fuse somewhere else? This is in a 2014 SE.

The only thing that has changed is I replaced my radio with a Kenwood headunit and a Maestro RR to retain Sync, is it possible this may have something to do with it?

I hope someone has an idea before I take it in to be serviced.
Ok update to the Ford Focus windshield wipers not working....If anyone has recently changed their battery only to find that the negative battery terminal is grossly corroded because you can't see it under the rear battery cover, this could also cause wipers to fail. There is a current sensor attached to the negative battery terminal that will get corroded and force replacement of the negative battery terminal, this will be expensive, damn 16" 2ga cable with this new sensor attached is roughly $50, the real kicker is that the 2 wire 18ga plastic plug that plugs into the sensor also fails and falls apart but Ford makes a kit for that, the new 2 wire plug with 12" 2 wire pigtail that you can splice into the existing wiring harness is also $50. This should be a $5 part but you'll need it. Anyway the geniuses at Ford give 2 pages of instructions on how to splice this include crimps and heat shrink, but neglect to tell you which wire goes to which wire on the factory harness, and low and behold, if you wire these backwards, or the current sensor fails, everything in the car works perfect, except the wipers. The wipers will not come on at all, if you simply unplug the 2 wire plug from the sensor disabling the sensor altogether, the wipers will work fine. I swapped the 2 wires and plugged it back in, and everything works perfect. No idea how to test this current sensor, because the car seems fine with or without this thing plugged in, but I wanted it all to work like it came from the factory. So there you have, if your wipers fail, check this current sensor or simply unplug it and check your wipers again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts