Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wipers on my 2007 fous will not turn off unless i take the fuse out,they still stay on when ignition is off

·
Registered
497 Posts
wipers on my 2007 fous will not turn off unless i take the fuse out,they still stay on when ignition is off
You likely have something wrong in the GEM module. The GEM is a computer/fusebox in the interior that controls several electronic functions including windshield wipers. The fuse you pulled cuts power to the high-current side of the wiper relay. So, either this relay is "stuck" in the closed position or the GEM is seeing the wrong signal from your multifunction switch and turning the wipers on eventhough you aren't asking them to come on. The GEM may not be your problem - you could just have an issue with the switch or with the wires between the switch and the GEM. The relay is a $2 part but it is integral to the GEM and cannot be replaced independently of the GEM, which is definitely more expensive than a few $.

Bottom line - you need to have it looked at by a good shop. This isn't the most difficult thing to diagnose but it will require an accurate wiring diagram, a DVOM and a skilled technician. I looked at the diagram and it's fairly easy to understand but its a bad idea to type up a bunch of things to test considering I don't know your knowledge level on these matters.

Don't let anyone charge you for a switch, a motor and a GEM module though. Independent shops are usually not very good at electrical issues. They tend to just throw parts at it until it's fixed and bullshit the owner into thinking there was this big domino-effect failure that took out 6 different things at the same time. This should take someone no longer than an hour to figure out and the most expensive part of the whole shebang is the GEM which will prob run ya a few hundred $ unless you can find a used one.

G/L

1 - 2 of 2 Posts