Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
If the fuse blows when you turn-on the car AND the wipers are OFF at this moment, you have some damaged (shorted) wiring somewhere.

Use eyeballs and multimeter to find the short.

-or-

If fuse does not blow until AFTER you turn-on the wipers...

Remove cowling/cover that is hiding the wiper motor. Disconnect the electrical connections of the motor and leave it dis-connected. Replace the fuse. Start car, turn-on wipers (wipers will not move). Turn-off car. Remove fuse and see if it blew.
->Fuse still good = wiper motor is likely bad
->Fuse blew = wiper motor is ok = you have a wiring problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fuse blows when i turn the key and the wipers are off.

I have looked all over the engine bay for damaged wires.

Is there anywhere a little more specific i should look?

Finding it really hard to find something without a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Go to link below for 2001 owners manual->
http://www.focusplanet.com/downloads/focusmanuals/2001/2001_focus_owner_guidemanual.pdf

Go to page 171 and see relay R18 and R19. Remove those relays and test to see if Fuse 55 still blows while relays are removed.

Wire diagram for 2002 link is-> HERE. After quick review I saw that Ford redesigned/re-designated Fuse 55 in 2002. Despite the change, the 2002 wire diagram can still help you... Most (98%?) of the info is common between 2000 to 2004, wiper fuse# happens to be one of the (2%?) differences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to link below for 2001 owners manual->
http://www.focusplanet.com/downloads/focusmanuals/2001/2001_focus_owner_guidemanual.pdf

Go to page 171 and see relay R18 and R19. Remove those relays and test to see if Fuse 55 still blows while relays are removed.

Wire diagram for 2002 link is-> HERE. After quick review I saw that Ford redesigned/re-designated Fuse 55 in 2002. Despite the change, the 2002 wire diagram can still help you... Most (98%?) of the info is common between 2000 to 2004, wiper fuse# happens to be one of the (2%?) differences.
I have removed relay R18 and R19 and the stick it self on the steering wheel. fuse still blows.

Is something else connected to fuse 55 like the pump for the windshield washer fluid?

And were is that pump located? is it controlled by relays aswell?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
With the relays and the (celery) control stick removed; you have ruled out the water pump as a source of the fault... and a few other things too.

With the relays and the control stick removed; you have NOT ruled out the wiper motor or some of the wiring going to the wiper motor. The motor has one rogue wire that has a direct connection to Fuse 55.

The next thing I would suggest is to remove (or partially remove) the plastic cowling that surrounds the windshield wiper arms. With the cowling removed you can electrically disconnect the wiper motor, and do your fuse test again. While inside this area, do a good visual inspection of the wiring harness, look for wire damage anywhere, everywhere.

I need to remind you that the troubleshooting method you are using has been done millions of times by many others; but many people do similar work while also using a multimeter (DVM). The "load side" of fuse 55 is likely shorted to ground/chassis/car frame and it should not be.

Edit: The cowling has two halves. It may not be the cowling that surrounds the wiper arms; it might be the one on the opposite side of the car. Also, reminder, I am using a 2002 diagram that shows this same system, but it is fed from F56 not F55.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the relays and the (celery) control stick removed; you have ruled out the water pump as a source of the fault... and a few other things too.

With the relays and the control stick removed; you have NOT ruled out the wiper motor or some of the wiring going to the wiper motor. The motor has one rogue wire that has a direct connection to Fuse 55.

The next thing I would suggest is to remove (or partially remove) the plastic cowling that surrounds the windshield wiper arms. With the cowling removed you can electrically disconnect the wiper motor, and do your fuse test again. While inside this area, do a good visual inspection of the wiring harness, look for wire damage anywhere, everywhere.

I need to remind you that the troubleshooting method you are using has been done millions of times by many others; but many people do similar work while also using a multimeter (DVM). The "load side" of fuse 55 is likely shorted to ground/chassis/car frame and it should not be.

Edit: The cowling has two halves. It may not be the cowling that surrounds the wiper arms; it might be the one on the opposite side of the car. Also, reminder, I am using a 2002 diagram that shows this same system, but it is fed from F56 not F55.
Thank yo so much [burnout]

it was the front wiper motor.

Is the rear wiper motor the same as the front one, so i can just change them?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Rear wiper motor should not be the same type as the front.

Good job finding it. [cheers]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts