Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2002 Focus has wiper gremlins. Searching here I deduced that it is the wiper relay (thanks for the info).

Now the $64 question should I just replace both the front and the rear wiper relays when I have the dash apart or is the rear wiper relay very unlikely to fail?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
May I suggest just the one, without taking the dash apart?

I got sneaky with an extended needle nose pliers to save my fingers, reached in & changed it without taking more apart than the cover. (your tools may vary)

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Yep, the front wiper relay gets used more. I unfastened the fuse relay panel and popped the relay out/in, 5 min job.

I hope that's a game show reference, you're not looking to buy the relay for $64!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just changed both of mine today in my 03 ZX5. It took less than 5 minutes. Bought mine from dealer and they came in a pack of 2. The thing that irritates me is now they "click" when the wipers come on.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
I just changed both of mine today in my 03 ZX5. It took less than 5 minutes. Bought mine from dealer and they came in a pack of 2. The thing that irritates me is now they "click" when the wipers come on.
The gray wiper ones are the soft click version, from my "autopsy" they have a softer contact inside and because of that they wear out quicker. The "normal" black or white relays should last practically forever, but they make an audible click. I don't notice it when driving with the radio. In my old 80's car I could hear the horn and wiper relays click when used.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Before buying any relays, try simply swapping the front and rear relays. Don't ask my why it works but that was the only fix required when my wipers started messing up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally had a day without rain so I had my daughter take the dash apart to get to the relays. Yep, I get her involved with as much hands on stuff as I can. Plumbing, electrical work, auto work, gun smithing.

I had been planning on grabbing a couple relays at the pick-a-part but we've had so much rain this summer that just hasn't happened.

Swapped the relays and now everything works as it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts