Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 03 SVT for about 8 months. It's mostly been good to me.

When I bought it, nothing on the wiper stalk would work. I had another parts car, so I swapped the stalk and it still didn't work. Went back the the original and it's been fine up until last week. Dead nuts reliable for almost 8 months.

The wipers quit while I was driving. Again, none of the functions work. Removed switch, inspected wires, and left it for a few days. One day, it's raining so I try to plug it in and it's been working fine for days.

Yesterday I go to warm up the car and step back inside. When I come out it's locked and running. Figured I bumped the lock, even though it's never happened before. I grab my wedge and rod, pop the lock, close the door and put my tools away. As I pull the door open partway it locks AGAIN. This time no wedge required and I break back in.

My one touch window down doesn't work. Swapping switches also didn't fix that.

Maybe these aren't related, but it is odd. Could it be the GEM?

Are decent electrical drawings available for this car? I am having a harder time getting electrical information than I have on any car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Ive had my 03 SVT for about 8 months. It's mostly been good to me.

When I bought it, nothing on the wiper stalk would work. I had another parts car, so I swapped the stalk and it still didn't work. Went back the the original and it's been fine up until last week. Dead nuts reliable for almost 8 months.

The wipers quit while I was driving. Again, none of the functions work. Removed switch, inspected wires, and left it for a few days. One day, it's raining so I try to plug it in and it's been working fine for days.

Yesterday I go to warm up the car and step back inside. When I come out it's locked and running. Figured I bumped the lock, even though it's never happened before. I grab my wedge and rod, pop the lock, close the door and put my tools away. As I pull the door open partway it locks AGAIN. This time no wedge required and I break back in.

My one touch window down doesn't work. Swapping switches also didn't fix that.

Maybe these aren't related, but it is odd. Could it be the GEM?

Are decent electrical drawings available for this car? I am having a harder time getting electrical information than I have on any car I've owned.
I do not think your wiper and 'self-locking' issues are related.

The GEM is only part of the wiper circuit when the wipers are in intermittent mode. In normal run mode the GEM is not in the circuit at all. The problem is that you need to catch the wipers playing dead in the act. Then you can test to see where the problem is. You can do a simple bypass test on the switch (I know you said you tried another) and you can also test for power at the motor.

I think your self locking door problem may be defined by your key observation that the locks engaged as you pulled the door open - ie while the door was moving. This generation Focus has a terrible reputation for having wires fail where they flex at the doors/hatch. In this case I would look at the wires inside the door umbilical rubber boot.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,377 Posts
Everything mentioned does go thru the GEM except for the window. It could be a bad GEM or a wiring harness issue. For the window, there is a separate one-touch relay.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Everything mentioned does go thru the GEM except for the window. It could be a bad GEM or a wiring harness issue. For the window, there is a separate one-touch relay.
Nope. You could unplug the GEM and the wipers will run fine and even park.

Paul

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
On the doors there are limit switches inside the latches that can make them act up alone of GEM. I've cured staccatto on/off locks and coming on with no warning by messing with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome insight guys.

I guess I have quite a few wires to probe and looms to tear apart...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts