Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and a happy owner of a 2013 Focus titanium 1.0 ecoboost 125. I have just got the car and it is great however there seems to be an issue with wipers. it looks as though they park in slightly the wrong position meaning that on the first wipe they collide and get stuck until the force of the motor frees them when they are constantly on its fine. its just the initial movement. its very frustrating.

Also fuse 60 which controls the drivers side electric window module etc has blown twice :)

Thanks for any advice in advance

·
Registered
289 Posts
This may seem counter intuitive, but try reversing the position of the wipers. Most vehicles have their wipers controlled by the same motor; in the Focus, the wipers are independently controlled. Typically, they are supposed to jump over each other to find the correct orientation but I suppose in your case they're stuck.

Under normal operation, they're designed to not collide into each other and in fact slow down if they sense that happening. Another thing to try would be to use a water repelling product (rain-x or similar) to put less friction on the windshield. If that doesn't work you might be in line for a new pair of wiper blades.

As far as the fuse, you may have a short in the drivers' side window system. Exposed/frayed wires or a loose connection can cause a short which will blow the fuse. For that issue, I recommend taking a visit to your dealer unless you are particularly adept at fixing electrical issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I did try swapping the position of the wipers and although it did stop them colliding on the first movement, they "corrected" themselves and went back to the original position and collided again!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can you take a picture and upload it here of the default position when the car is shut down ? They are suppose to rest almost under the hood in OFF position.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm going to suggest having the dealership recalibrate them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is strange is that you can leave it in the intermittent position and the rain stops for a short period and starts again the wipers are ok. It just seems to be when they are first turned on after starting the vehicle.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Really you may just need to remove whichever arm is giving you problems and rotate it one spline on its mount.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Was the windshield ever replaced?
Replacing the windshield requires the installer to remove the wiper arms off the motor splines. The wiper motors have something like 30 teeth on the splines, so there are a lot of positions the arm can be installed in. There is no "key" or any other locating feature to ensure they are installed the way they're supposed to be at the factory.

The way I found to fix mine:
1: Open the hood.
2: Turn the ignition on.
3a: Turn the wipers on.
3b: Turn the ignition off once they are all the way up/extended/90-ish degrees.
4: Look at the wiper blades. They should line up with the roof rails (more-or-less).

If they don't line up,
5: Remove the trim cap off the retaining bolt on the wiper arm.
6: Remove the nut retaining the wiper arm.
7: Using a prybar, gently pry the wiper arm off the motor spline. Do not pry against the glass.
Be gentle, but firm. It's pressed on tightly. The wiper arm will pop off. It will be a floppy high-sprung mess.
8: Let the hood down.
9: Reposition the floppy handful of a wiper arm where it should be without scratching your hood.
10: Raise the hood.
11: Reinstall the retaining nut. This will press the arm back onto the spindle.
12: Adjust the other side.
13: Test the operation to see if it does what it should.
14: Repeat as necessary.
15: Reinstall the trim cap over the retaining nut.

If the wipers and roof rails do line up:
5: There might be something else happening. Take it to the dealer and see if you can get some warranty work done. Even if you have to pay for it, it'll be better than cursing at your wipers in your garage all day.

·
Registered
650 Posts
WOW, nice instructions. If it was under the 3/36 warranty I would let them fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the windshield ever replaced?
Replacing the windshield requires the installer to remove the wiper arms off the motor splines. The wiper motors have something like 30 teeth on the splines, so there are a lot of positions the arm can be installed in. There is no "key" or any other locating feature to ensure they are installed the way they're supposed to be at the factory.

The way I found to fix mine:
1: Open the hood.
2: Turn the ignition on.
3a: Turn the wipers on.
3b: Turn the ignition off once they are all the way up/extended/90-ish degrees.
4: Look at the wiper blades. They should line up with the roof rails (more-or-less).

If they don't line up,
5: Remove the trim cap off the retaining bolt on the wiper arm.
6: Remove the nut retaining the wiper arm.
7: Using a prybar, gently pry the wiper arm off the motor spline. Do not pry against the glass.
Be gentle, but firm. It's pressed on tightly. The wiper arm will pop off. It will be a floppy high-sprung mess.
8: Let the hood down.
9: Reposition the floppy handful of a wiper arm where it should be without scratching your hood.
10: Raise the hood.
11: Reinstall the retaining nut. This will press the arm back onto the spindle.
12: Adjust the other side.
13: Test the operation to see if it does what it should.
14: Repeat as necessary.
15: Reinstall the trim cap over the retaining nut.

If the wipers and roof rails do line up:
5: There might be something else happening. Take it to the dealer and see if you can get some warranty work done. Even if you have to pay for it, it'll be better than cursing at your wipers in your garage all day.
Thanks for the detailed instructions, will try this at the weekend. If not I will get the dealer to take a look. I am hoping that my warranty will cover it

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions, will try this at the weekend. If not I will get the dealer to take a look. I am hoping that my warranty will cover it
Take it to the dealership before taking it apart.

If you take it apart they could deny warranty coverage since you messed with it.

If the dealer can't fix it then try the reset procedure on your own, but not before letting them have a go at it first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts