Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first decent snow this morning. Needless to say, I had an adventurous trip to work this morning. I was going to try to pick up a set of 16" ZX3 wheels for the winter, but the tires that come factory on them are 205/50R16 which makes them a significant amount taller than the Continentals that came on my car.

I guess I'm just curious what, if anything, anybody is running for a winter tire/wheel combo on their SVT.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
412 Posts
I purchased 4 Dunlop Graspic GS1s' from the tire rack for 97 bucks each, and mounted them on my stock wheels. Not really the route I wanted to go, but money was the issue. I got the same size as the stock conti's. No need to tell you about the two nor'easters we have had here in NY. Armed with these fantastic tires, traction control and ABS brakes I have found I can go anywhere!! Super Focus!! lol Not happy with the wear and tear on my wheels, but........... and you will of course give up some of the handling on dry pavement, but winter tires are a must. The stock conti's are like drag slicks in the snow.
bfocused

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
According to my trusty calculator:

Stock 17" wheel w/ Continental (215/45/17): 24.61811" dia
Stock 16" wheel w/ 205/50/16: 24.0708" dia
Stock 16" wheel w/ 205/55/16: 24.8779" dia

Calculation samples:
[(215*.45*2)/25.4]+17=24.61811
[(205*.50*2)/25.4]+16=24.07086
[(205*.55*2)/25.4]+16=24.8779

Some tires will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but these numbers are pretty close for new tires. Still, the general rule of thumb for minus-sizing is decrease the section width by 10 mm and increase the aspect ratio by 10% for every inch in wheel diameter you decrease.

I just put a set of 205/55/16 snow tires on my car and its pretty close to stock...no rubbing, not really noticealbly taller (gearing that is) and gives nice damping and grip on ice.

Hope this helps,
Nick

·
Registered
374 Posts
Definately get snow tires. The stock continentals are not m&S rated, this means they are not designed to be driven in the snow.
I bought a set of Hankook Ice Bear winter tires size 215/45r17 and mounted them on my stock rims. The tires perform quite well on dry pavement (of course not as good as the conti's) and are great in the snow. I paid $640 (canadian) for the set of 4 including taxes. I'll end up changing back to the Conti's in the spring. Just make sure you go to a good garage with a new tire mounting machine so that you don't scratch up the rims when changing the tires. Also apply an nice coat of wax on the rims (and avoid sliding into curbs [eek] [?|] ) and you should be ok.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've been looking into and talking about this under the "tire" section....

Check out what we've talked about so far, and the info I've found!

(I get my snow tires tomorrow morning!)

Read Me!!

[thumb]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Miscalculation

I realized after I posted my message that I'd miscalculated the tire sizes and that the 205/55R16 tires where really close. I think I'm going to try to find a set of 16's to put a set of tires on, so that I don't have to change tires on my stock wheels every winter. If anyone knows of any 16" 'ers for sale, let me know.

My luck, if I get my car set up for winter, we won't get anymore snow.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Tires are on, and I'm ready to rock!

comon snow! Come get some!!![:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts