Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've quickly browsed through the wheel/tire sticky but still some feedback.

I own a 2002 Focus ZX3 with very little milage (try under 25K). It's mostly used for local/weekend driving. With my rear driver tire leaking and the snow coming sooner than expected, I figure this is the perfect time for a change.
I honestly don't want to go with the changing from winter to summer to winter, prefer the all season. Wondering if anyone has some feedback as to which tires have worked for them or which would be my best bet (trying to keep all season in mind).

NOTE: I changed my tires from stock goodyear 16's to 17's kumho ecsta ast (215/45/17-H-400) with exel dl-46 wheels in 3/2007.

I would just get the spare to keep it constant but the last snowfall didn't allow me to go uphill at all (i'd say just under 45degree slant that met with the street to my house), I needed passerby cops to help pull me to the house. Slipped and slid all over.

As another note: I heard there were some problems with the airtube to certain brands like BF Goodridge, etc. Has anyone heard or can confirmed this?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Even the best all-season snow tire (expecting some Nokian all season tires) will not be a match to a dedicated snow tire. They are a compromise at best. If you kept your stock wheels they'd be ideal for a set of snows and minimize seasonal change over effort. All season tires have a fairly stiff tread compound for long wear and summer use. The compound gets harder with lower temps as well. In addition to an aggressive tread, a snow tire is much softer and remains more pliable in the winter and cold temps.

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
just got myself a set of snowtires im exited to try them out cuz ive never driven on winter tires b4. ps- all seasons suck. come summer time im getting summer tires. no more all seasons for me

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
hmm I'm afraid......anyone had experience driving in snow or complete ice covered roads with All-seasons? (lol) well to be honest though, foci's my first car, and it'll also be my first winter driving in a car without ABS or dedicated snow tires (hint hint: the Taurus Driver's Ed car I drove had abs AND dedicated snow tires, the first time I actually drove in Ed was on a nice two inch layer of frozen snow and ice, that's where he let me off.....lol)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's 50/50 for me.. the oem tires were great (I remember they were either the Goodyear Eagle GT or the Eagle F1) and I wouldn't have changed them as they were perfect all season. They've been on since date of purchased and up until the new ones they've actually helped me out of deep snow and never slid on ice (keeping in mind safe driving, especially on black ice, but not getting all granny on the road [thumb]). The main reason for the change were air bubbles beginning to accumilate around the sidewalls. I did a little research and found that I wasn't the only one with the same issue. I'd get them again but don't know if there are any other problems with them + they're over $100/tire...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I am thinking of getting some winter tires also. I have Bridgestone Firehawk G009 all seasons now. They got me through last winter, but they were not great. They now have one year more wear, so they will be even less confident. We had 10" of fresh snow one day and I was getting stuck and rocking a lot. They were kind of slick on lesser snowfalls also. And truly white knuckle on an icy freeway, everyone was passing me. The Focus has relatively wide tires for it's weight (205/50), which isn't good for snow. My Neon did MUCH better in the winter with it's 185/65 tires (not so good in the summer though)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SoF, thanks for the link. It's actually very helpful. Those toyo tires generally got really good reviews which now has my consideration. [thumb] I'll do a little more research on those, but don't want to be limited. If there are any other tires I should be looking at, please let me know.
Between the economy and the fact that my car is currently out of commission (dead battery), makes things a little more difficult for me to finish what I started sooner than I wanted.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
MaroonZX3;2420994We had 10" of fresh snow one day and I was getting stuck and rocking a lot. [/QUOTE said:
Lol! If St. Louis got 10 inches of snow in winter, Then I would def. buy 'summer' tires. Reason being, nothing would move in the winter anyway! [;)]

tkheaven >> Your very welcome! [wave]

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i would go with bfg g force super sport all seasons. (got a good review by sport compact car) or sone bfg traction t/a's both would work till heavy snowfall. after that you'll need a winter set jsut to move.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your input. i also saw the bridgestone potenza g019 (replacing the g009) are pretty good, providing better snow traction. since i have a firestone nearby, i may just replace the one tire that's kaput...for now...

·
Registered
316 Posts
im going to be rockin the proxe 4's this winter.. we shall see how they work out. as of now i love them for dry and wet conditions so i think that they will be good in the snow too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts