Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I can see it has some glints of reflective bits in the paint. But so far, with Winter light, and lots of overcast my St is dull looking. yeah it is yellow orange, but no sparkle in the paint at all. I want to be blinded.. Not underwhelmed..
This is with one week of ownership. I am worried maybe they FORGOT to make my paint sparkly? [8]

So far it has been raining. overcast. cloudy. snowing...
Where is the SUN???
I know it is Winter.. But please, just plain bright Winter day SUNLIGHT one time... please? SO I can see my car sparkle, just once?

So... Can my Tangerine really scream?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Like with any metallic paint you wont see the sparkle until the sun is hitting on it. But when that happens you wont be disappointed cause the Tangerine scream is an awesome color.

I just bought a 12' yellow blaze and it wasn't until the next morning I realized it had metallic in the paint because I bought it when it was dark. My 14' fusion is the same way, Its Tuxedo Black and I bought it off the show room floor, which it had no sparkle until it got out in the sun light.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Is there going to be a build thread for your new baby Elizabeth?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there going to be a build thread for your new baby Elizabeth?
I guess I do not know what a 'build' thread is?
My car is just a plain old 2014 ST3, moonroof and Rado grey wheels (with red painted calipers.) I bought Ford Racing black painted 18"s for the Winter tires, which are still to be delivered the second time...
Tthe front of my baby has no plate bracket. Front plate required here, but lucky me they left it off (as I asked). I have my front plate in the windshield. (My 1999 Contour SVT had the front plate in the windshield for 13 years, never any issue) I love the look of the grill glowering out at the World.

It is getting shiner as I wax it several times over.
Big job first waxing. Have to do all the nooks and crannies in the doors and hatch. Under the hood and hatch. Plus silicone lube all the rubber bits around the doors, hood,, hatch.

I gave the steering wheel some nourishment, and the dash some sealant.
Still have to buy some new stuff for the leather seats. My last car had fabric, and the bottle of leather stuff I had prior is pretty sad. (though I still used it on the steering wheel...in tiny thin layers as to not clog up the pores in the leather)

·
Registered
167 Posts
You have any pics of the car?

Also I've always been told not to wax a car the first 30 days, not really sure how true that is though. if your looking for some good leather sealer or even polish/wax I've used Zaino Bros for the past 10 years and there stuff is probably the best I have found and its really reasonable in price compared to others. I've also used some of the stuff from chemical guys and its great stuff but quite a bit more than zaino depending on what you buy. I have a foam cannon I use to wash my vehicles and the soap from chemical guys is amazing for it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If this is too far off topic, I fully understand if the Moderator(s) deletes.

I saw a Prius commercial yesterday. A couple is teaching their child to conserve. I am all for that. But things took a real turn when they went on to say that the son "insists on washing the car with rain water."

And there's the kid washing the car using the rain falling from the sky!

Did anyone consider the need for some soap along with that rainwater, so as to lift the dirt in order to not scratch the paint? [poke]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a Prius commercial yesterday. A couple is teaching their child to conserve. I am all for that. But things took a real turn when they went on to say that the son "insists on washing the car with rain water."

And there's the kid washing the car using the rain falling from the sky!

Did anyone consider the need for some soap along with that rainwater, so as to lift the dirt in order to not scratch the paint? [poke]
((Not too far off topic)) [8D]

I think 'washing; with nothing but water is great. and I do it too, all the time.

I use plain water to rinse my cars off. In fact over the 40 months I owned my 2012 Focus SE I never once used any sort of soap to rinse it off. And I rinsed it off on average more than once a week.. (more in Winter, less in Summer)
Especially right after coming in from a snowy or wet with snow/ice/slush/salt road. I would take the public hose in the (large) garage area and rinse off the car with a 'hard' spray of water. Sometimes if it seemed stuff was sticking to the paint, I would run my hand over the area as i sprayed it with water. (I also would rinse off the underside as best I could, easily)

I 'dried' the finish with a 'California blade': Which is a short squeegee. I just run the California Blade across all the flat surfaces, stripping most of the water off.
(usually the blade worked best if the touching edge was slippery, So I would take just a tiny bit of silicone to lub the leading edge a tiny bit. (Tip of my finger to the bottle, to the blade is all it took.)

Then I parked it. No further drying. The car was left with small droplets here and there on the edges.. Not a problem at all. IMO. (PS we have pretty clean clear water here, no 'bad stuff' in the water)
Did that a hundred plus times I would guess.
I waxed the car say once a year. maybe twice. I NEVER washed it special prior to waxing.

In fact my current ST, I have been waxing it, and never washed it. The waxing takes off whatever dirt there was... And if some miniscule trace of dirt is forever waxed into the finish. I could care less (heresy I know, but it is my effort, my car, my results). LOL

PS the finish on my SE was as good as they get when I traded it in. Soap is way overrated.

BTW I had a Contour SVT for 13 years before the SE. In the last 6 years of ownership or so, I never washed that car at all.. if it rained I would wipe the crud off the hood, roof and sides... some. And that is it. When a car gets older, I stop caring as much...
And yeah the finish on that SVT later on, was scratched.. No question. I mean I was wiping off the dirt with a paper towel after weeks of accumilation... reads bad..I admit to being a car finish abuser at times..
After 13 years I sold that car for $800. I used it, chewed it up and spit it out.

So yes some of us do only use water and no soap to clean the car. And no problem. (I can see if the car paint was black, not using soap might show more in the long run..)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, Elizabeth, your response is why I love being a member of this community. I continually learn many different fixes for a given problem. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today good sun, though low in the South. My car is more yellow than i thought it would be. With bright sun even more so. The sparkles are in the paint. Have to wait for the Sun to come back up into the sky to have my car really glow.
Some pics the car is very orange.. Mine no way I cound not figure out how it looked so orange in the pics? Also the color swatch at the dealer was a deep orange.
Not at all like my car color.
(which is OK. I like yellow.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
((Not too far off topic)) [8D]

Soap is way overrated.
Soap is used for lubrication so you don't scratch the paint/clear coat. You might not notice it too much in a lighter color but you will still see it.

And waxing a dirty car...this makes me cringe as your basically grinding that dirt into the paint. This is what causes swirl marks, aka scratches on the paint surface.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm not gonna start a debate with Elizabeth. She has her own experience that supports her belief. And I say that with peace and love.

However, NOT using a proper car washing soap, with a proper washing device is antithetical to every fiber of my being.

If there is any part of an automobile that needs to be babied, it's the exterior finishes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts