Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed, but what is the consensus for the best winter tires for the SVTF. I am only going to be able to afford tires this year, so I will have to mount them on my stock wheels. Next year I would like to upgrade my wheels or at least get some cheap ones so that I can keep my stock ones nice and not have to mount and unmount twice a year.

Thoughts?

Dan

·
Registered
412 Posts
I put Dunlop Graspic DS-1 studless winter tires on my stock wheels. I got the same size as the stock Conti's. Purchased from the tire rack for $97 ea plus shipping. These tires are made of a very soft rubber, and you will notice a decrease in handling, but nothing major. What you give up in handling you'll make up in traction this winter when the snow flies.

This was the cheapest way out for me, I did want to buy 4 16 inch wheels, and tires for winter driving, but that proved to be over my budget.

You will need some type of winter tire for sure, as the stock Conti's will have zero traction on snow or ice.
Hope this helps. We have the same exact SVT's
bfocused

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dan,

I'm in Minnesota (Twin Cities area) also and have debated this as well. I was looking at getting straight winter tires, either the Graspic's or Blizzaks but considering the weather we have had here in MN the last few years(cold and little amouts of snow), would we need winter tires?? We are a front wheel drive car WITH traction control at our finger tips!! I was thinking more along the lines of getting some Ultra High Performance All-Season, like the Continental ContiExtremeContacts. Best prices so far have been at Tirerack.com ($90). Here is the link to them: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=145WR7CEC&fromCompare1=yes

Taken with a grain of salt, the reviews ppl have given these tires makes for a strong case for getting these. It allows us greater handling in winter months as well as good dry pavement traction/handling (something that we would loose a little of in a winter only tire).

Either way I think it is a good idea to get either type. I am probably going to get the ContiExtremeContacts. I don't think we are a deep snow state, at least here in the cities. Sure we get some snow, but not alot lately.

Hope this does not muck your decision up too much.

Later,

twisted1

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've decided to go with the Blizzaks. I was gonna purchase the tires through Tirerack but I found out that most places want $25 and up per tire to mount them. I read the reviews for the tires and they are rated to be pretty decent. I'm purchasing the tires through Sears(cheapest place that I've called) and with them mounted and tax included the total cost comes to $665. I hope they work well for me. Last year I went with my stock tires(Conti's) and I found myself in a couple ditches!! I travel ALOT so I need decent tires so I'm willing to pay alittle more to be safe this year!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good choice. I was looking at them hard but the $$ was a little more than i wanted to pay for. Then again, this is our peace of mind and health we are talking about :) As to the pricing of mounting a tire, I got my SVT from Tousley and they told me it would be $14.99 a tire to mount/labor and new stems. Thats what my plan was to do. Get tires from Tirerack then have Tousley mount them. Looked to be the cheapest way that I found

I am still on the edge of getting tires versus going with stockers for the winter. I live about 5 miles from work so i dont have to drive as much as you do but then again...

twisted1

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am going to look at the Blizzacks and the ContiXtremes. I will also look at what Michelin has to offer.

Twisted1,
I am in the Twin Cities also. I bought my SVT from New Brighton Ford. I just bought my car so I have not received my SVTOA stuff yet. (can't wait!) Is there a SVTOA club here in the Twin Cities? If so have you gotten together with them? I would like to see your SVT with the European package. I wanted the European package with the car in Screaming Yellow but there was'nt one to be found. That is okay the red looks great!

Dan

Edit: I will look at the Dunlops also. Didn't mean to forget those.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, I've been having this discusion on the "tire" part of the forum... and here's what's been said!

Read ME!

[thumb]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Got mine today! But now watch.... it won't snow all winter!! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts