Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter tire with no TPMS, what's the outcome? Update Here's the outcome

I know some people here got winter tires without TPMS and I was wondering what the result is.
I've heard people saying just the light comes on, and other say that light come on, chimes sound etc.
Can you cancel the chime by just pressing ok? Just wondering what to expect if I didnt get the monitors

Update: Here is a vid of the warnings that come up....the chime lasts a couple seconds longer than the normal start up chime and both the (!) and light up.

http://youtu.be/-X1RyzjgUXg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sevan! I guess if all I deal with is the warning lights the whole time and the chime for a minute I'll be fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just one more thing about TPMS.

In addition to the dash warning light being on and the warnng chime there is one more thing to be aware of. You will not be able to get a valid State inspection done. NHTSA comes done hard on garages that service vehicles that are federally compliant. Also, depending on the garage itself it might not want to touch anything associated with you wheels i.e. alignment, balance etc...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Good (but sad) point Gerryyy. Isn't it great that you could have brand new tires, properly installed, balanced, inflated and completely legit but still not pass inspection because the "idiot-light" remains on unless you want to pay for sensors? People that actually keep an eye on their tires, check pressure regularly, maintain them, etc. get punished for those that don't unless, again, they are willing to buy sensors that are redundant for those that take care of things.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wonder what pulling fuse #81 under the glove box does, it's labeled R/F receiver. I'm thinking that the radio frequency receiver for the TPMS.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Here's a question:

I plan on keeping 2 sets of tires/wheels, for summer and fall. If my summer wheels don't have the TPMS sensors on them I shouldn't have much of a problem with E-Check (Ohio's certification system), right? My birthday is in December, so I don't have to get my check until late November. By then I'll have my winter wheels (the 18" from Ford with TPMS sensors) already back on.

I'm still deciding if I want to put on the TPMS sensors for the summer wheels, but I don't want to have to spend $300 simply because Ford's ridiculous. Those sensors couldn't cost more than $5 a piece to manufacture.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's not Ford or your local garage. It's the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That's NHTSA or big, bloated goverment for short. The idea behind the TPMS is that Americans, on average, are too big and bloated to bend over to check their air pressure every once in a while. Here comes big government stepping in to make sure that having properly inflated tires will provide the best gas mileage possible and lessen our dependence on foreign oil. If your garage installs rims that do not have the TPMS installed they are subject to a big fine from NHTSA. It's like $10,000.00 per incident for defeating a federally installed safety device. So buck up and pay an extra $350.00 to have TPMS installed on your winter rims. There are a couple of ways around this. Have your state inspection done during summer months with your OEM rims with TPMS or buy a couple of floor jacks and mount your winter tires yourself. Last thing, 10% ethanol that kills your engine and adds like $.50 per gallon of gas is also a product of big government/the nanny state. Taxed enough? Vote for freedom!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to imply it was the fault of the garage or Ford up above. Just annoyance with government intervention.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's not Ford or your local garage. It's the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That's NHTSA or big, bloated goverment for short. The idea behind the TPMS is that Americans, on average, are too big and bloated to bend over to check their air pressure every once in a while. Here comes big government stepping in to make sure that having properly inflated tires will provide the best gas mileage possible and lessen our dependence on foreign oil. If your garage installs rims that do not have the TPMS installed they are subject to a big fine from NHTSA. It's like $10,000.00 per incident for defeating a federally installed safety device. So buck up and pay an extra $350.00 to have TPMS installed on your winter rims. There are a couple of ways around this. Have your state inspection done during summer months with your OEM rims with TPMS or buy a couple of floor jacks and mount your winter tires yourself. Last thing, 10% ethanol that kills your engine and adds like $.50 per gallon of gas is also a product of big government/the nanny state. Taxed enough? Vote for freedom!
Firstly, this is a car forum. Take your political stands to other places, plz.

Secondly, the question wasn't whether it would allowed or legal...it was how annoyed would we be by the way the car notifies us of a lack of TPMS sensors. I get my E-Check done in December, so it will always have the winter wheels/tires on the car by then. The winter wheels are my stock 18" wheels from Ford, so they have the TPMS sensors installed. My summer tires/wheels, however, might not. I'm not paying $350 on top of the $2000 for the tires and wheels just so I can find out when I get a flat tire. I have eyes for a reason.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Firstly, this is a car forum. Take your political stands to other places, plz.

Secondly, the question wasn't whether it would allowed or legal...it was how annoyed would we be by the way the car notifies us of a lack of TPMS sensors. I get my E-Check done in December, so it will always have the winter wheels/tires on the car by then. The winter wheels are my stock 18" wheels from Ford, so they have the TPMS sensors installed. My summer tires/wheels, however, might not. I'm not paying $350 on top of the $2000 for the tires and wheels just so I can find out when I get a flat tire. I have eyes for a reason.
Yeah, agree. I'm guilty of getting sidetracked. Not the place for it.

So did you swap the tires out that cames on your 18's for winters? I was at the dealership yesterday going over some winter options and one of the salesguys (not the one I bought from) bought his own Focus the same week I did (we both ordered in June and got them in Aug). After dealing with the parts dept I went up front to talk to him and see if he set up his winter pkg yet. He did. He went with new rims and winter tires and swapped them out last weekend. He didn't go with TPMS. He said so far, after a week he has not gotten any warning messages but also qualified it with the fact that he parks in his garage every night and that is where his summers are so the sensors might be in close enough proximity every day to prevent the warning.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i went ahead and pulled fuse #81 out and we'll see what happens, so far no errors or messages, but most people said that it takes 2-3 days. Wouldn't it be nice if all it take to disable the TPMS is a little 5 amp fuse?

·
Registered
537 Posts
For those wondering, I was able to get TPMS sensors at Discount Tire for $40 each. It's just a pain in the ass to get them registered to the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Call me big and bloated then, I like TPMS. I just wish it wasn't implemented in such a stupid way. Would it really have cost the auto makers any more money to tell you which tire is low?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TireRack FTW!!!!!!
Ummm, doesn't have anything to do with tirerack. Thats where I got my tires from, it whether or not people opted for the TPM and reset tool from them, or any other company.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I put sensorless rims on my old Fit, lived with a light on the dash, and never had any trouble getting inspected in PA. If the chime only lasts a little while, I'm okay with that.

BTW, our Audi has TPMS, and their system requires no sensors. I install the winter tires and it's just not a problem. Wonder how their system is different?
Moon

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, our Audi has TPMS, and their system requires no sensors. I install the winter tires and it's just not a problem. Wonder how their system is different?
Moon
The difference is that some TPM's (direct type) use actual sensors inside the tire's and we need the extra sensors etc... other TPM's (indirect type) are actually ABS sensors and they sense when the tire is low by the difference in revolutions compared to the other tires that are inflated correctly. Thats why you dont need sensors on your Audi, it uses the ABS (indirect) type sensor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pressure_monitoring_system

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ummm, doesn't have anything to do with tirerack. Thats where I got my tires from, it whether or not people opted for the TPM and reset tool from them, or any other company.
They were very knowledgeable. Not sure what would happen if they did not recommend the tool.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts