Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is time for the winter run down.

You are basically split with the Focus tires into 00-04 and 05-current for wheel fitments. The earlier models have options down to 14". and the later goes down safely to the 15". This is for the standard models.

Some winter basics first. If you can go narrow do it. The weight of your vehicle dictates the size of the contact patch on your tire. If you have a wider tire, the patch is wider. If you have a narrower tire, the patch is longer but narrower. Think if how a tire expels water/slush etc. It has to push the volume out from the center of the tire. If the tire is wider it has more volume to push, and is less effective inducing hydroplaning of sorts earlier.

The other principle to think about is sidewall height. We are always looking to downsize the rim diameter to save costs, but also to isolate you from the road better which helps avoid tire damage with pot holes in the end of winter as the roads begin to thaw.

We come up with our data with TRUE ice testing, a local ice rink that we rent out and actualy test our tires on. Most of our test are on the web in our videos so check them out!

Now to the sizes!

For your 00-04 you have the opportunity to downsize to 14" and I do have steel wheels available for that. For the 05-10 downsizing to a 15 inch is best case. **The SVT's have a different set of rules, 16" minimum for them**

My Featured pick for the best grip for the worst situation in the 185/65R14 would be the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. Best on ICE and hard packed snow. For the budget pick, the General Altimax Arctic would be a great choice.

For the 195/60R15 The Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 works great along with the Continental Extreme Winter Contact. The budge pick here is again the General Altimax Arctic.

For the 205/55R16 its the WS60 or the Conti Extreme Winter Contact. Here for the budget pick we move over to the Firestone Winterforce.

What is the difference between a stud less Ice and snow and a standard winter? Rubber compound. The Conti and the Blizzak have a special rubber that helps handle the problem of water. When your tire touches ice it melts a small amount of the ice and forms a water layer between your rubber and the ice. Now you have a new problem. The stud less ice and snow tires find a way to quickly soak up that water and allow the tire to contact the ice and get traction. Bridgestone calls it tubular multicell compound, which looks like Swiss cheese under a microscope. Click away and start your search now!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt throw the 17" options in there just because it was getting long, but of course there are 17 an 18 inch options that work! If I didnt cover a size that you would like to use, jut PM me or post it here and we will work on your options.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
would there be a negative effect to going from 195 to 185 on stock 15" wheels? or would it be better?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be slightly better in the winter. Refer to my monolog..LOL...

"Some winter basics first. If you can go narrow do it. The weight of your vehicle dictates the size of the contact patch on your tire. If you have a wider tire, the patch is wider. If you have a narrower tire, the patch is longer but narrower. Think if how a tire expels water/slush etc. It has to push the volume out from the center of the tire. If the tire is wider it has more volume to push, and is less effective inducing hydroplaning earlier."

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah I did.......lol. I just wanted to ask [hihi]

thanks

so if you want a studded tire but don't stud it, that's kind of pointless, right? you'd best be getting a studless tire?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I like that for certain climates and budgets. General makes a great winter tire, and some area don't see too much ice so it would be a great option. Also its very budget friendly, so some customers can take a all season (lets value this a 3/10 in winter) and afford to replace it with an 8 (the general) but not the 10 (blizzak...). That is clearly better than the all season!

·
Registered
514 Posts
For your 00-04 you have the opportunity to downsize to 14" and I do have steel wheels available for that.
I just looked on the Tire Rack site and it shows there are no 14" steel wheels available. Will they be in soon?

Thx.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
im thinking of using my stock 16" ST wheels for winter wheels. what do u think is best tire size for them? i need to buy tires late november/ early December when we start getting snow again.

im stock height right now. but im expecting to lower the car next year so i want to beable to use them with maybe 2" drop.

thanks
Wales

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked on the Tire Rack site and it shows there are no 14" steel wheels available. Will they be in soon?

Thx.
Yeah looks like they are gone or I miss-read my snow screen, I do have a 15" steel, and 14" tires, but of course they have to match. In fact, I have no more 14" wheels availible, so if you have 14" I can sell tires but for 15" I have wheels (steel and alloy) and tires.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im thinking of using my stock 16" ST wheels for winter wheels. what do u think is best tire size for them? i need to buy tires late november/ early December when we start getting snow again.

im stock height right now. but im expecting to lower the car next year so i want to beable to use them with maybe 2" drop.

thanks
Wales
A good size could be 2055016... lots of good winter options. Dont wait too long. There is a big difference between those that buy early oct to early nov, and end of nov to early dec. Those that buy early get what they want, and those that buy late get what is left!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah looks like they are gone or I miss-read my snow screen, I do have a 15" steel, and 14" tires, but of course they have to match. In fact, I have no more 14" wheels availible, so if you have 14" I can sell tires but for 15" I have wheels (steel and alloy) and tires.
Thanks for the reply. Shipping kills the deal with the wheels. I am going to try a couple other vendors and may circle back.

Thanks again.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I have those generals and they did a great job! I'd recommended them to anyone. Best tire for price by a long shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires

Hi,

I recently purcahsed my Focus used, but it has the 16inch stock tires and rims on it. I live in a city that has pretty long witers and snows quite often.

I was wondering if anyone has used their all season stock tires in the winter, and how they have performed? I don't want to pay for a set of winter tires if i don't have to.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'm guessing lots of people make it through snowy/icy winters on all season tires. The Foci's front wheel drive is the primary benefit. A front wheel drive with snow tires is, however, head and heals above one with only all seasons. A lot will depend on the condition of your current all season tires. Naturally new ones with lots of fine siping will help a lot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.