Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, it's my first post.

I just purchased a 2009 Focus SES (which come with the 17' rims/tires).

My question is, I know that the 2009 Focus come with 3 different types of rim/tire size (15', 16' and 17'). I was wondering if I could go with a 15 or 16 inch winter tire in replacement of my all season 17inch?

I called Ford but their standard answer was they recommend going with the same size tire that the vehicle came with.

Is there any reason why I would want to keep the same size winter tire other than spending more money? Is there an advantage to this?

Thanks,
Obi.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
no, a smaller tire will do better in the winter though

something skinnier will be easier to get traction in

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
there no problem going with smaller wheels, in fact you can probably find a cheap set of 15 or 16" focus alloys in the for sale forum or onyour local classified. as for tire size, i think 205/50R16 is standard, but i'm using 205/55R16 no problem. for 15s, well im not sure. but i bet a 205/55R15 or 195/55R15 or 195/60R15 would all work. find a tiresize calculator online and stay near the overall diameter or your stock tires.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
go with a 185 65 15 it's virtually the same overall height as the 195 60 15 and it will do better in the snow

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had exactly the same question. I have the 2008 SES with 205/50/16. For the winter I want to put 195/60/15 tires with steel wheels. Since the S and SE models come standard with 195/60/15 I would assume that it should be no problem to put them on an SES. The owners guide doesn't give any information on this, which is really ridiculous. I called "Le Circuit Ford Lincoln" in Montreal, who could not answer the question and recommended checking on ford.ca. Then I called the Ford Customer Service Line which said if there's nothing mentioned in the owners manual you have to use the same tire size the car came with. Good for nothing - time well wasted. Today I called another Ford dealer in Montreal "Desjardins Ford", who said it would be absolutely no problem.

The next thing I am wondering is that Tire Pressure Monitoring System. If I use steel wheels in Winter, I guess they will have to switch the sensors from my alloy wheels. Does anyone have any experience with that?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I had exactly the same question. I have the 2008 SES with 205/50/16. For the winter I want to put 195/60/15 tires with steel wheels. Since the S and SE models come standard with 195/60/15 I would assume that it should be no problem to put them on an SES. The owners guide doesn't give any information on this, which is really ridiculous. I called "Le Circuit Ford Lincoln" in Montreal, who could not answer the question and recommended checking on ford.ca. Then I called the Ford Customer Service Line which said if there's nothing mentioned in the owners manual you have to use the same tire size the car came with. Good for nothing - time well wasted. Today I called another Ford dealer in Montreal "Desjardins Ford", who said it would be absolutely no problem.

The next thing I am wondering is that Tire Pressure Monitoring System. If I use steel wheels in Winter, I guess they will have to switch the sensors from my alloy wheels. Does anyone have any experience with that?
I deal with TPMS and it really dependes what kind of system you have. If its the band type I would think you could get away with it. If if the sensor that is attached to the valve stem I doubt it would be possible..

But this is all just a guess I really dont know. I havent delt with a focus that has TPMS..

·
Registered
8,023 Posts

Check tirerack's site. They discuss TPM systems and sell replacement sensors as well. I'm not familiar with pricing but it may be worth just buying an extra set of sensors.

I don't have a newer car with the sensors. Are there any issues other than the continuous light on the dash being on if you don't use the sensors at all?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ no. unless you go to wal-mart and try to get new tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TPMS Sensors

Check tirerack's site. They discuss TPM systems and sell replacement sensors as well. I'm not familiar with pricing but it may be worth just buying an extra set of sensors.

I don't have a newer car with the sensors. Are there any issues other than the continuous light on the dash being on if you don't use the sensors at all?
I went to my Ford Dealer yesterday (Desjardins Ford Montreal). I ordered the steel wheels 195/60/15, he confirmed that size is no problem for the 2008 SES.
As for the TPMS sensors, he said most of their customers would decide to just drive with the warning light on during winter. He suggested the sensors were to expensive to buy extra ones, $80 Canadian plus tax per wheel. So I'll do with the warning light on - $360 just for the f..ing sensors would be too much. Can go on a Carnival Cruise for that money...

Thanks for all your replies

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts