Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Narrower is better for best snow tire traction. Since the 2012's are pretty new there's probably not a lot of used wheels from the versions that come with smaller wheels yet. 16's are usually the desirable way to go. Keep your eyes open for someone selling used 16's (here or your local Craigs list) or check with our Tirerack friends for new wheels or if they'll have some cheaper steel ones available for the new foci.

·
Registered
683 Posts
thanks so much for the info, geezer!
i will start searching for the 16's.
I will be buying a winter tire / wheel / tpms package soon. My research revealed that in the Blizzak WS70 (excellent and popular dedicated winter tire) on the 16's, they are only 0.2" narrower. I am going with the 15's. Those are 1" narrower. Granted, the tire will be poorer in dry road / performance driving with the 15's, but here in northern Maine, I need superior winter snow and ice traction. Narrower tire = better winter "bite". The 16's will have better dry road performance, so there is a trade off.

Some have stated that the 15's will not fit properly on the Titanium since it was equipped with 17's originally. I have spoken with my Ford dealer service manager as well as Tire Rack and found this no be untrue.

The main concern with fitting the smaller wheel is disc brake clearance. the front discs are the same size on the "S" model of the 2012 FF (which comes with the 15's) as they are on the Titanium (which has 17" wheels standard). Now, on the "S", the rear brakes are drum. The Ti, SEL and SE sport have rear discs. BUT, the rear disc is a smaller diameter than the front disc, so no worries! Just stick with OEM tire sizing.

Just my two cents ...
[cheers]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If the 15" wheels clear the rotors then they are indeed another valid snow tire option. My only concern is that the 195/65-15's (proper 15" size for a 12) will handle quite differently than the 215/50-17 that come with the titanium package (due to the much taller sidewalls combined with the squishy winter tire pattern. Dealing with one feature is bad enough but two could be annoying).

·
Registered
683 Posts
If the 15" wheels clear the rotors then they are indeed another valid snow tire option. My only concern is that the 195/65-15's (proper 15" size for a 12) will handle quite differently than the 215/50-17 that come with the titanium package (due to the much taller sidewalls combined with the squishy winter tire pattern. Dealing with one feature is bad enough but two could be annoying).
I hear you. It probably will be annoying. Where I live though, public works is often unable to keep up with storms and the road gets 3" of ice hard snow that freezes into hellish holes and ruts. I'm banking on the 15's taking a bit of that sting. 16's would definitely handle better.
Tire Rack has a 195/60-16 alternative to the standard 16 which is 215/55-16. I wonder if that would be a good compromise...same width for traction and shorter side wall. Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My winter drive takes me through highway 401 which gets plowed 24/7 - I guess i can go for the 16"s (bolt pattern 5x108, offset +50). My dealer advises 205/60/16 for the winter tires.
Hope I am getting my specs right.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My winter drive takes me through highway 401 which gets plowed 24/7 - I guess i can go for the 16"s (bolt pattern 5x108, offset +50). My dealer advises 205/60/16 for the winter tires.
Hope I am getting my specs right.

The diameter for the stock tire sizes is or is close to 25". That's what you should try to maintain. Being within a few tenths of that (more or less) is rarely if ever an issue. I believe the 205/60-16 are just slightly smaller in diameter than stock 16's and should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The diameter for the stock tire sizes is or is close to 25". That's what you should try to maintain. Being within a few tenths of that (more or less) is rarely if ever an issue. I believe the 205/60-16 are just slightly smaller in diameter than stock 16's and should be fine.
Thanks for the input, Geezer!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought my focus with the optional 18" wheels can I still go down to 195/65/15?
Here's my 195/65/15 setup.. General Altimax Artics. No problems going through 12 inches of recent snow this last Sunday.

Best money I've spent so far on the car.. [thumb]

[ffrocks]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts