Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My all season tires just aren't cutting it anymore in the snow. I couldn't move out of a flat parking lot with 2 inches of snow.

I'd really like to get snow tires, but I have a limited budget. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on just getting snow tires on the fronts only?

They'd be 205/55/16 on the front, 205/50/16 on the rear.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not recommended. ur rear end will swing all over!!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Bad idea. You'll have a much better chance of oversteering. If I were you, I'd maybe shoot for some really good all seasons like the ContiExtremeContacts, they are great in snow for an all season and are very good in wet/dry summer conditions. Or see if you can find some inexpensive snow/winter tires. I got my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's for like $80 each for 16's, after one season they barely show any ware at all.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I wouldn't run snow tires on only the front, definitely get all 4. If you are looking at 205/55/16, you could get the General Altimax Arctic. The user "chaney" on here has the tires and posted a review, found here. And a link to the tires here. The tires in that size are currently $73 each at Tire Rack, which is quite reasonable.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
def not a safe idea! my friend did this on his corolla and two weeks later, he decided to buy the other two lol...he was drifting around every turn. it's fun at first but after a while it just gets old. plus, you might have an emergency situation you need to avoid and you def. want the back end to grip when that time comes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I guess I didn't really think about the tail end not gripping. Not such a good idea. I was considering purchasing those General Altimax Arctics. Just with shipping and installation the price is a bit high, but I know I'm not going to find anything really cheaper, especially for the reliability.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the tail end doesn't grip for me already on stock tires you just need to gas it and crank the wheel where you want to go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would go with 4 snow tires or stay with your current set up. Having a loose back end in the winter can get very scary. I should know. I have snow tires on the front and all seasons on the back right now. I've already had two or three near misses this winter where the back end kicked out while turning a corner. Last year my car wasn't nearly as scary in the winter when I had all season tires on all four wheels. The lack of grip up front kept me from accelerating to quickly around a corner, which is where the back end always seems to let go on me.

And for what it's worth I now know I was stupid for trying to be a cheap bastard, snow tires go on the back tires tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i would look for some cheap used rims or steelies and then get some winter tires. thats what i did and i think if you plan on keeping your car for long it will pay off in the long run. i got some used 16 inch snow tires on my beat up rims and i just purchased some nice 15 inch ones from a forum member i should be set for 2 years or so. just my opinion, much easier than dragging tires back an d forth to have them swithced out.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
I have fronts and I haven't had any problems in the snows we've had unless I did it on purpose. Depends though on how bad the situation is. I have Kuhmos on the back or how ever you spell them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last winter i just ran the fronts because i couldnt afford the rear. It was alright went way better than just my all seasons that i had the previous winter, and i didnt get stuck anywhere. If you do deside to get just the fronts you still have to drive fairly cautiously because the rear can wip out on you. This year i bought the rears and its night and day difference than just having the fronts. If you can afford it get all 4, but having just 2 will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts