Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so at work all I basically do is detail things. The only thing is it can range from a car or truck, all the way to things like tractors and airplanes.

My boss kept giving me crud about having salt on my car when I would come to work. Now I 'm like almost every one else and I hate to leave the salt on my car when I get home but how can you get rid of it without washing your car every day.

Now I am lucky and park in a garage that stays about 45 degrees. Here is what I do every night I get home and my car is covered in salt. Now I waxed my car before winter, and if you haven't I'm not sure of the result.

TOOLS
*25 os. squirt bottle
*3 os. of royal blue car wash and wax concentrate
*2 os. of standard dish soap
*1 car squeegee

METHOD
I start at the top of the windows and all you do is set the tip of the squirt bottle to a mix of mist and spray more toward the spray side. I spray the windows so the the fluid runs down the windows. I then keep spraying the car where ever there is dirt and salt. Spray thoroughly. Let the liquid run down the car. Now I take the squeegee and dry the windows. I just let liquid run off the car. No drying. Then I just sweep the 20 os. or so of water on the ground out the door. The whole process only takes about five minutes, and does not result in a "shinny detailed" car, but get 95% of the salt off. I'll post picture tonight or tomorrow. Hope this helps people who hate salt as much as I do.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
I will try this thanks! They use way too much salt around my neghborhood... I have the benefit of an indoor water hose tap so I can always spray it down with water but residue still remains so this will help it dissolve some more [thumb] p.s. is the dish soap necessary? will it affect the coating even with a miniscule amount?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dish soap kinda makes it suds more when it hits the car and not just instantly run down and on to the ground. Just use a normal dish soap that doesn't have like stain fighter or other random additives like that and it won't remove the wax or anything.

I do this almost every night. And when its above freezing outside I just spray this on and then hose it off in the garage(I only do that when its warm enough to not end up with a big ice slick right out side the garage door, we don't have drains in our garage :( ). Doesn't get everything off, but does a decent job of getting most the salt off with very little work.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've never found that mild dish-washing soap affects any wax I've used.....you need some sort of soap to clean off the dirt.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that parking over-night in a heated garage, after a day on cold salty roads......very hard on the paint/metal. Warmer temperatures accelerate rust and corrosion in the presence of salt. Cleaning the salt off the paint as suggested, won't help the many places more likely to rust....i.e. the under-side.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HGFireHazard. I wax everything with newfinish and then turtle wax paste. The small amount and mildness of the dish soap does not affect the wax. As soon as the car gets wet, it beads just like it did before.

bluefront. Since I can park inside a garage I take advantage of it. Your point on the temperature accelerating rust is true. I had the underside of my car undercoated with a rust-preventer (the kind most people use on trucks). I clean my motor every time I truly wash the car. So the only place the salt really has an effect is the painted body. This is why I cam up with the quick way to get it off the car every night ;)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Yeah a good undercoat from a trusted place can really help out. But the stuff still needs to be cleaned of salt frequently in the winter......as touched up at least yearly.

And all the suspension pieces usually don't get any under-coat protection. They are affected by rust as much as anything (but they can be replaced easily). I clean up and touch-up all the suspension pieces yearly with rust-proof paint.

I try to clean the underside in the winter with fresh water (not recycled) very frequently. Tough job when it's really cold....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea once a week I take it through the no touch car wash. Has a water/soap jet and then a rinse for the underneath. And I know the guy who owns the car wash and even though he wouldn't give me a discount, he insured me they don't recycle water.

As for the the suspension, my years have the infamous breaking spring issues. They gave us a 150k mile warranty regardless of the age of the vehicle. Already have had 2 springs break and the dealer replaced them for absolutely nothing (a total miracle). So I don't worry about those parts too much ;)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
For me, rust on the suspension is an appearance issue as much as anything. I've never broken a spring on any car I've owned, but I do hate to see rusted struts and other pieces sometimes visible.....even without being on a creeper. [:(]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I totally understand what you mean. If the underneah looks bad it takes away from the rest ofthe car. It makes it seem like the owner forgot a spot LOL.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
salt prevention

I usually watch for the fire department putting out fire, sneak over and make a few slits in the hoses, does wonders for the undercarriage. They just don't like it when you run over the hose a few times, you know, to get a good scrubbing.......lol. No seriously, I have found a wash that does a decent undercarriage. I wash my SVT by hand, even if it's cold, then pull it in the garage to dry it off. Now that it's winter, I got my 16" SVT Contour rims and Blizzaks....bring it on!!!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See the only problem here is we just had 3 days where the warmest it got was about 8 degrees. So, you can't really wash anything out side, and if you don't have a drain in your garage, well you can't use a ton of water or your driveway becomes a skate rink. This was the reasoning for my 20 os. cleaning method ;)

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Salt defender

I was chatting with this detail guy one day and he told me that the easiest way to prevent rust from salt build up is to coat the entire undercarriage in WD40. He said that the salt will rinse right off. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like an idea.......kind of.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
WD40 is water based....so it would wash off fairly easily. There are certain chemical sprays specifically designed for such usage. I had a link for one that sounded pretty good....lost it though. [:(]

·
Registered
234 Posts
From my knowledge it is way worse to have a car that has salt on it above 32 degrees this makes salt more effective and can eat away your paint quicker. If its below freezing its better because the salt is less effective, this is if you cant make it out to wash it.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
What u need for the undercarriage is called Rust Proofing. You can either spray it on or brush it on. I did it to the rear of my undercarriage this summer... Wish i would of done the front tho.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes salt does work more effectively above freezing. But when its 8 degrees out side and the wind chill is -15, I am for sure parking in the garage. It's easier and way more comfortable to wash the car off. When its that cold the car is hard to start, not to mention the damage to the motor your causing for starting it when it is that cold. The washing the salt off method is way nicer than the -15 degree start lol.

1stTimeFocus00, I really like your undercarriage coating. It makes the car look nice. I hate rusty suspension parts and yours by no means has any of those ;)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have the best method of all, but there is a trick to it, and not everyone can do it.

In late fall, I put a good coat of wax on the thing. The trick is: Then I forget it. Salt comes and salt goes, sooner or later we have a nice day and I wash the car.
Like I said, not everybody can just put it out of mind like that. But come springtime and a fresh waxing, my car looks better than the pampered ones. That's because I didn't subject the finish to abrasion on a daily basis. My wax coat remains mostly intact, still protecting the sleeping paint beneath. (That, plus the fact that I don't live near smart alecs that'll write "wash me" in the dirt.)

BTW, I've been using turtle wax Blue Ice. It's easy to use, and will actually last all winter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts