Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter package question(updated 8/26/11)

Edit:

Well, my car came in yesterday & it does have the active grill shudders.

Here are my specs:
Black
SEL
302a package
Remote start

Not sure how I got them but I did.

Well I opted for remote start over the winter package & I'm regretting it. I found out from my sticker that the remote start is a dealer install option. I now feel as though I should have went with the winter package and then just pay for the remote start at the start of winter.

I also figured the active shudder grill system was standard on all Foci.

I was curios if the winter package can be added on for cost plus labor? Or can I get the active shudder grill installed without any of the other options?

I can't stop thinking about this mistake as I researched & researched for several weeks before placing my order. My car will be here this week.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Winter Package cannot be installed afterwards. The center console is different for one thing. You could probably get heated mirrors and an aftermarket seat heater though (eventually).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Winter Package cannot be installed afterwards. The center console is different for one thing. You could probably get heated mirrors and an aftermarket seat heater though (eventually).
I mainly wanted the active grill over everything else. Already have the all weather floormats.

Does the active grill offer much better gas mileage?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Supposedly, but only in certain circumstances.

I can't explain the laws of thermodynamics and physics in this short post...but basically it can close the shutters to direct air into a different movement pattern. It supposedly can raise your fuel mileage around 2-3mpg...but it only activates when you're at a consistent speed (above 50 or 60mph) and only if the engine is nice and cool. It will heat up the engine somewhat quickly so they don't stay closed for 100 miles.

It's not that big of a deal. I do have one question...how did you research for "weeks and weeks" and not ask, "Does the car I'm paying $20k+ on have **this feature**?"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I can't explain the laws of thermodynamics and physics in this short post...but basically it can close the shutters to direct air into a different movement pattern. It supposedly can raise your fuel mileage around 2-3mpg...but it only activates when you're at a consistent speed (above 50 or 60mph) and only if the engine is nice and cool. It will heat up the engine somewhat quickly so they don't stay closed for 100 miles.

It's not that big of a deal. I do have one question...how did you research for "weeks and weeks" and not ask, "Does the car I'm paying $20k+ on have **this feature**?"
Thanks!

I knew more about the Focus than my dealer so he had no clue ; )

Oh well, I'll be trading in the vehicle in a year or two. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
19 Posts

Ford does not list the active grill shutter system as a selectable option in configuring your vehicle. I also did considerable research before buying my focus, and only learned after the fact (on this forum) that only certain trim levels/ options/ conifigurations/ states include this feature. Fortunately, this was a feature that happen to be on my car, but no where is it listed by Ford as a feature that should be on my car. My question is if the active grill shutters do in fact make that much of a diffence on hwy mpg, shouldn't this be reflected on the epa estimates that Ford advertises on the window sticker? Afterall, they do show a 1 mpg reduction on titanium trim levels.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm with you, a standard SE is rated @ 26/36mpg, but I have the winter package (includes AGS) so shouldn't my highway rating be higher?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with you, a standard SE is rated @ 26/36mpg, but I have the winter package (includes AGS) so shouldn't my highway rating be higher?

Posted via FF Mobile
I always wondered why some stickers listed hwy mpg as 37 and some listed 38. Maybe it was the grill.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I always wondered why some stickers listed hwy mpg as 37 and some listed 38. Maybe it was the grill.
Don't SelectShift cars lose 1mpg to the standard PowerShift cars?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't SelectShift cars lose 1mpg to the standard PowerShift cars?

Posted via FF Mobile
dunno but I can tell you that I chose the auto over the manual because of the increased MPG. I wanted to squeeze out ever tenth I could out of this thing

·
Registered
19 Posts

Posted via FF Mobile
Wait a minute--I have an SE with winter package and the EPA estimate on my sticker is 28/38. Why would your estimate be lower? Perhaps because I live in Oregon so my car for sure would have AGS....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is what the Focus web site says:

Manual transmission: 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg
Automatic without SelectShift: 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg
Automatic with SelectShift: 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg
SE Sedan with SFE Package: 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is what the Focus web site says:

Manual transmission: 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg
Automatic without SelectShift: 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg
Automatic with SelectShift: 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg
SE Sedan with SFE Package: 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg
Thxs, that clears it up--I think Ford is making these calculations based on AGS included on all these vehicles. I say this because the inclusion of AGS does not depend on any of these trim levels and there are clearly other reasons for the differences in mpg above.

This then begs the question of why Ford didn't include AGS on all vehicles or, at the very least, adjust the EPA estimate for those vehicles which they chose not to include AGS on. Frankly, I would be pissed to have bought a vehicle with the wrong epa estimate advertised on the sticker.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wait a minute--I have an SE with winter package and the EPA estimate on my sticker is 28/38. Why would your estimate be lower? Perhaps because I live in Oregon so my car for sure would have AGS....
Mine is a manual, hence the "standard SE", and mine does have AGS.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I wouldn't be mad at all if Ford gave me the wrong MPG estimate. Those are just estimates and the real numbers depend on your driving habits and driving conditions. Varying between 36-38 makes no difference to me and you shouldn't be mad about it... either way your car will end up getting what it gets dependent on how you drive and where you drive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The EPA estimates are done under the EPA standards and rules, not Ford's. I don't think AGS ia a factor.

·
Registered
882 Posts
What wag4513 said.

Ford has nothing to do with the fuel mileage figures. The AGS affects fuel mileage, but not by much. It's just another way for Ford to tell the general public they're trying to make more efficient cars.

And I'm still confused by all the people that didn't know whether their cars would have it. Did you not bother asking at all? Did you just assume your car would have it because other cars you've seen had it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What wag4513 said.

Ford has nothing to do with the fuel mileage figures. The AGS affects fuel mileage, but not by much. It's just another way for Ford to tell the general public they're trying to make more efficient cars.

And I'm still confused by all the people that didn't know whether their cars would have it. Did you not bother asking at all? Did you just assume your car would have it because other cars you've seen had it?
I didn't really care and my salesman knew less about the car than I did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What wag4513 said.

I didn't even know about it. Why should I? I was well aware of the estimated EPA on the car I was looking at. And the AGS feature exists for no other purpose. If you buy a 160 hp car does that mean you should be aware of all the technology that contributes to it? Now suppose you find out that your car is only good for 140 hp as opposed to another trim level or the exact same car sold in another state. And the sticker says 160 hp. Wouldn't you be pissed? Of course if the omission of AGS would not have affected the EPA rating, this exercise is completely academic, and more importantly I could care less whether my car has AGS or not.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts