Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Let me start by saying that I relocated from Orlando, FL to Columbus, OH this summer. As such, when I bought a new Focus (2013 SE w/201A) I didn't spring for the winter package (bought it before I got a great job offer up here). Now that I'm about to experience my first winter where snow is a thing that will probably happen, I went to my local Ford dealer to get an oil change and an estimate of how much adding the winter package accessories would be. Here is the summation of the estimate I received:

- Heated (and apparently cooled for summer?) seats: $450 PER SEAT
- Heated rear view mirrors (with puddle lights): $400
- All weather floor mats (Which apparently say "Weather-tech" not ford) $95
- Remote Start (which I can live without): $500

- Total (Labor included): $1,895 or $1,395 w/o Remote Start

My question is, has anyone else added these option to their car? Does this seem high? For an option that is about $600 if you order the car with, $1,395 seems a bit steep. My issue is that I want it to look stock, I did read a write up on how to install heated seats in the DIY section but I kinda like the looks of the stock switched in the stock location. Can I order the parts and have a third party install them for cheaper perhaps? Are they really even worth the trouble for winter? Just looking for some opinions and insight from some Focus owners who are familiar with driving their focus in the winter/snow, any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you have the dealer install heated seats, more than likely they are using an aftermarket kit, and won't use the factory switches.

It's also interesting to see that they said they could install the heated mirrors with puddle lamps, since SE models do not have the necessary door modules for the puddle lamps to even work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I installed seat heaters but using factory switch location with illuminated switch gear. As far as the mirrors it'll depend on if your car has intelligent access or not. If not, simply purchase heated mirror housings and remove and replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Living in Iowa the majority of my life I'd say get a remote start and floormats and forget the rest unless you have leather seats then I would consider the heated seats. Remote start itself will do wonders for winter time comfort believe me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the dealer install heated seats, more than likely they are using an aftermarket kit, and won't use the factory switches.

It's also interesting to see that they said they could install the heated mirrors with puddle lamps, since SE models do not have the necessary door modules for the puddle lamps to even work.
If the dealer would likely be using aftermarket I wonder how much labor is involved, $450 per seat seems pretty expensive.

I installed seat heaters but using factory switch location with illuminated switch gear. As far as the mirrors it'll depend on if your car has intelligent access or not. If not, simply purchase heated mirror housings and remove and replace.
1.) The heated seats you installed look great! That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you maybe have a link to where you got the parts? Do they have a heated/cooled option?

2.) I do not have intelligent access, if I correctly read the conversation on this in the DIY section, this means I can plug in and play with heated rear view's and enable puddle lights through the BCM?

Living in Iowa the majority of my life I'd say get a remote start and floormats and forget the rest unless you have leather seats then I would consider the heated seats. Remote start itself will do wonders for winter time comfort believe me.
I think floor mats are going to be a must! Is remote start and intelligent access the same thing I wonder... unless they were quoting an aftermarket remote start (likely) wouldn't that require different door modules? If I understood Titanium Tony right then that may complicate things... Also I do have leather seats which so far have been pretty cold, especially coming from Florida!

Thanks everyone for the responses!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Oh without a doubt floor mats are a must. With all the slush and sand that gets drug into the car, then just ground into the carpet every time you get in making it look bad over time.

I think you should do what you can with this. Unless you don't have to worry about the money, but id say you can do the mirrors cheaper than Ford can, just your labor. Heated seats could be a weekend project if there is Aftermarket on it.

Up to you on the remote start. I know OH winters can be brutal sometimes, especially seeing where you are coming from lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
1.) The heated seats you installed look great! That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you maybe have a link to where you got the parts? Do they have a heated/cooled option?

2.) I do not have intelligent access, if I correctly read the conversation on this in the DIY section, this means I can plug in and play with heated rear view's and enable puddle lights through the BCM

No link but seat heater kits are sold all over EBay. Also purchased the center console switch panel on EBay as well. Cooled seats, if possible would be extremely expensive being it wasn't an option to begin with. My car was pre-wired, (check for fuse in rear power dist) for heated seats so install was much easier. Heated mirrors are simply PnP on cars without door modules but puddle lamps require modules.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No link but seat heater kits are sold all over EBay. Also purchased the center console switch panel on EBay as well. Cooled seats, if possible would be extremely expensive being it wasn't an option to begin with. My car was pre-wired, (check for fuse in rear power dist) for heated seats so install was much easier. Heated mirrors are simply PnP on cars without door modules but puddle lamps require modules.
Thanks for the info! I don't have door modules, so do I just need the glass for the rear views?

·
Registered
845 Posts
First, welcome to the awesome state of Ohio. Don't worry, come January, you'll start looking at ways to get back to Florida.

To answer your question from someone who is quite knowledgeable about Ohio winters, a lot of that stuff is a bit redundant. i.e., If you have remote start, you won't need heated seats. Heated mirrors are awesome and almost certainly needed if you park outside. Floormats are an absolute MUST. Don't get them from the dealer though, just go to amazon and get a good set of weathertechs.

However, first and foremost, coming from Florida you NEED NEED NEED to check your tires AND your battery. A friend of mine moved from Texas with a 2 year old car, and got stranded at work for 2 hours because nobody told him the cold air up here is MUCH harsher on batteries, and some cars don't come with batteries able to handle the cold. Happened to my fiances 2010 Ford Fusion last year too. The cold air is HARSH on batteries up here.

Make sure you don't have summer tires!! Those in the winter will total your car almost immediately. Get a set of winters on some steel rims and switch come spring, or get all-seasons. But DO NOT run summer tires in the winter.

Some other things to make sure you have before any of the stuff you're looking at, get windshield washer fluid that has de-icer in it. It's a bit more expensive, but you'll thank me when you're trying to clear salt off your windows and it's 10 degrees. Also, get a good ice scraper and keep it in your car ASAP.

As for Columbus winters, you'll get snow. But not as much as we get up in Cleveland. Cbus gets a lot of ice though. It will be cold as well, but not AS cold as up in Cleveland. So in order, 1) Tire/Battery 2) Ice-Scraper and De-icer windshield fluid 3) Floormats 4) Remote Start. The rest is really just optional things that will help but not too necessary. Personally I'd say forego the heated seats if you're getting a remote start.

Oh, and BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse at Polaris has some kickass pizza and beer. I'd definitely check them out. Last tip, November 29th is going to be INSANE in Columbus, especially around OSU campus. Just a bit of a fair warning since I doubt you've experienced scUM week yet. (Don't wear yellow and blue)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have lived in the North with Winter cold down to as low as -20F ... driving for fifty years so far and counting... and NEVER thought I needed a 'heated seat'
or a heated steering wheel. My behind warms up the seat in about 20 seconds.. Wearing gloves is all you need for the steering wheel and shifter knob..

The things you DO need are some skills driving in snow. And the best snow tires you can buy. (i suggest Michelin Ice X3) Carry a small coal shovel. The real thing, not some flimsy 'snow shovel.. And some (dry) sand or salt mix in the trunk. Have some heavy and good Winter gloves in the trunk also. If you use rather thin driving gloves.. You want some heavy duty one to shovel the car out, or change a flat tire

Practice driving in snow or on ice is really important. (I go practice even though i am a Winter veteran) So if you can scout around for a big empty parking area.. So you can go there when it does snow and practice turning, and hitting the brakes while turning in the snow. To really find out what the car will DO when you are panicking.. Do not be afraid to spin out. Or slide around. Winter driving half the fun is the sliding around.. LOL

For a floor mat, i use one of those $1 carpet samples.. Stick it down there.. And throw it away come Spring.

PS I never wear a coat all Winter anyway. I have a heated space for my car at home, And I hate wearing a coat in the car. To the point I take it OFF even if getting into the car from work, the car is at -10F covered in snow.... no problem. I take the coat off before I get in. Period. Always.

And when out and about, a ten second trip from car to store with no coat on, is not gonna freeze my body. And then in the store i am comfortable.. Unlike all the folks with coats on LOL

So I suggest skipping the expensive things until you really think 'yes I need a buttocks warmer... My ass is FREEZING here!'

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some great Winter hints there BlueIce!

Some of the "smaller" items are the ones that will make the OP happiest in the Winter.

De-Ice version of washer fluid is wonderful for the Winter. Light frost can be washed off with it, the stuff is that good.

Scraper with an extension push broom/squeegee combination is one of the nicest accessories I've found, works much easier than other styles for clearing the car off in varied conditions.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
PS I never wear a coat all Winter anyway......

And when out and about, a ten second trip from car to store with no coat on, is not gonna freeze my body. And then in the store i am comfortable.. Unlike all the folks with coats on LOL
I never wear a coat in winter either...or a sweater for that matter. Granted it doesn't get as cold here in Texas. The coldest I remember was -1 back in 1989 and that was an anomaly for DFW in Texas.

I don't know how you guys handle 20 below.

I do leave a coat on the back seat of the car in case I break down somewhere in subfreezing temps. Eagle scout, can't help being prepared.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes I have a nice coat IN the back of the car for emergencies.
And yes a good Winter Ice scraper/broom gizmo is good. usually they are selling all over the place about now through December in the North.
I liked the sort with a telescoping handle. So it can be long to work with, then it shortens to toss in the back seat floor of the car.
PS using the hard plastic scraper on the glass is the norm, But NOT on the paint.

Oh yeah. NEVER get the car washed if the weather is below zero... When you discover the doors are frozen SOLID shut... Not good.

Also. moisture buildup in the car.
What happens is the car is heated inside with all the windows shut. Folks breath. Lots of moisture added to the air. then you get out. The moisture condenses as the car cools and goes on all the hard surfaces.
Over and over and eventually you have a frosted up inside windows car from hell..

I suggest right from the start. In below freezing temps.. When you stop and get out.. always let the heat OUT totally. So you stop and park. do not just leave the car.. Hold one door open until most of the heat in the car is blown awyay. that hot air has all the moisture in it. Then shut the door. It will help keep away the interior frost buildup. By the end of February you will thank me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In addition to the heated seats /mirrors, floor mats & remore start, the winter package also includes a engine heater, something I would like to look into to see if that can be bought from Ford & installed separately.

·
Registered
845 Posts
the best snow tires you can buy. (i suggest Michelin Ice X3) Carry a small coal shovel.
Columbus doesn't get too much snow, and clear the streets well when they do get it. They get about 2 ft a year. Compare that to Cleveland a few hours up the road on avg over 50in and this winter near 90in. expected. So Cbus winters are pretty mild.

Expensive snow tires and a shovel probably not necessary.They do get ice though. Make sure you don't have summer tires, a good battery, de-icer (Seriously this is magic juice), a scraper..and you'll be fine. Everything else is just bonus. [like]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
In addition to the heated seats /mirrors, floor mats & remore start, the winter package also includes a engine heater, something I would like to look into to see if that can be bought from Ford & installed separately.
Yes the engine heater is able to be installed by a Ford Dealer.

The Michelin Ice X3 are really ice tires.. And the fact the op has never really driven on snow or ice I would still say the tires would be a great investment for him.
They would last a few years from November to March.. And then he will have enough Winter experience to say if he does not need them anymore.
Mainly my thinking is the Ice Winter tires would be way more valuable than the other gizmos he is willing to spring for. $$$

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^^^ Priorities

Stacking the deck in your favor is always good, when not experienced in Winter conditions it could make all the difference.

Late wife LOVED to tell the Story of a Foreign Dr. who'd moved to Buffalo from warmer climes. First bad storm day he calls in to the Hospital that he'll be late, vehicle is in the median of a major freeway leading to town.

"I don't understand, Trooper give ticket say driving too fast for conditions."

" I buy four wheel drive with Finest All Season Radial Tires, how could this be?"

Wife - "see you when you get here, snow tires & slowing down a bit would have helped more."

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes the engine heater is able to be installed by a Ford Dealer.

The Michelin Ice X3 are really ice tires.. And the fact the op has never really driven on snow or ice I would still say the tires would be a great investment for him.
They would last a few years from November to March.. And then he will have enough Winter experience to say if he does not need them anymore.
Mainly my thinking is the Ice Winter tires would be way more valuable than the other gizmos he is willing to spring for. $$$
I'm not a believer in "Ice" tires that aren't studded, just a personal thing. Even I wouldn't waste my money on them. False security. When it's icy, nothing but studs are really going to make a HUGE difference. And you'll NEVER need studded tires there. You're really only talking about 2-3 months with a few inches of snow each month and some ice storms. Not the 4-5 months we're used to by the Great Lakes. And again, they take good care of their roads. If you can afford it, go for it, by all means! But if you're tight on cash and dont want to swap tires for just a couple months, not a deal breaker. A good set of AS will serve you fine.

And remember, the traction control on these cars are really good.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd say most of those things really aren't necessary in Columbus Ohio... Engine block heater, certainly not.

Heated side mirrors again, not necessary. If you park outside, a good scrapper and brush will serve you well. While you're driving, snow won't usually build up on the mirrors again.

Floor mats are a good idea. You can buy generic ones that you can trim yourself to fit the car better.

Make sure you have a good set of windshield wipers too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts