Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know others experiences with the new Focus in winter driving?
So far I have not been impressed with the traction control as it will stop the wheels from spinning so much that no power will go to your wheels.
I had to turn it off to make it up a hill as sometimes the wheels have to sping to move the snow away. I always have winter tires on for our winters as they are so extreme.
Overall it doesn't seem as good in the snow as 2007 Focus wagon I used to own, but it may be the differance in winter tires?
Winter also makes me wish the new Focus had the heated wipers that some other cars have.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would like to know others experiences with the new Focus in winter driving?
So far I have not been impressed with the traction control as it will stop the wheels from spinning so much that no power will go to your wheels.
I had to turn it off to make it up a hill as sometimes the wheels have to sping to move the snow away. I always have winter tires on for our winters as they are so extreme.
Overall it doesn't seem as good in the snow as 2007 Focus wagon I used to own, but it may be the differance in winter tires?
Winter also makes me wish the new Focus had the heated wipers that some other cars have.
Interesting. I live on a steep dirt road that is a bit slippery in the winter rains so I'll watch for that issue on a couple of our tight/steep corners. I've been driving my bottom end '03 Elantra up and down that beast for the past nine years without a hitch, so the comparison will be interesting.[scratch]

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was not impressed either, purchased Bilzzak snow tires. I have not had snow tires on a car in colorado for 15 years.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Traction control systems suck, IMO. They are probably great for keeping novice drivers from making silly mistakes that would otherwise put them out of control. But I think that most competent drivers do eventually find them to be more of a nuisance than anything else and start looking for ways to defeat them.

I don't know about the newer models, but the system I have makes it harder to reach the top of a snow-covered hill (and prevents me from doing a decent dry pavement launch). From the sounds of it (post #1), they haven't improved much. For me it's a habit that I shut it off EVERY time I drive.

1. Turn key
2. Buckle seat belt
3. Push the button to turn the TCS off
4. Drive away

I barely even think about it since it's so ingrained into me now...

·
Registered
290 Posts
You are lucky that you have a button. On the 2012 SE, SEL, and Titanium, I think it's buried several layers deep in the HMI. On the S model, with no steering wheel controls and with an ultra-simple message centre - no dice; you cannot shut off the TCS. In reality, you can -- if you rig a disconnect to any one of the ABS wheel sensors... but this shuts off ABS and ESC, too. Once the connection is restored, I believe it takes about 20 seconds to reinstate the ABS, TCS, and ESC.

The quandry that most enthusiasts face is that it is well nigh impossible to retain the ABS, and lose the TCS and ESC... Only companies like eEMotiv, with their "Black Box" can tune / desensitize the ESC....and I don't think they yet have a way of turning off the TCS while ABS and ESC is still active.

So, if an individual wants to buy a 2012 Focus to modify the handling, say, with varying rolls stiffnesses front versus back (i.e. experimenting with different anti-sway bars) -- they had better start with an SE, SEL, or Titanium, I'm sorry to say (and hopefully the eEMotiv Black Box will become available for the car) 'cause of this TCS turn-off issue. This makes me sad, 'cause I really like the price and the simplicity of the S model :(

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Its not really buried deep. From trip 1 you press left on the joypad once, down 3 times, OK 3 times. It takes about 2 seconds.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
882 Posts
Its not really buried deep. From trip 1 you press left on the joypad once, down 3 times, OK 3 times. It takes about 2 seconds.
Posted via FF Mobile
Just getting there takes around 10 seconds. Getting back is another 10.

I'm not complaining about 20 seconds, but it's kind of a pain to keep your eyes off the road for that long every single time you get in the car.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i agree w/ hotleadsingerguy, the switches for various oft used functions should be visible and easy and one step.. not buried or requiring multiple steps to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Or better yet - for cars with MFT, it should be a MFT Voice command!
Or even Sync. I'd love a command like that.

The reason it's buried is to keep morons from pressing the button and getting themselves in trouble. Those of us who know why we need to turn it off will know where it is and turn it off.

Before I bought the car, I made sure the Advancetrac system was defeatable if need be.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had to be pushed up a hill in October. I have the Titanium with the PS3 summer tires. They are not suppose to be used even when its cold. I love the tires ... and now they sit in my garage waiting for summer. I have Bilzzak snow tires on now. (they came two days after the snow) [facepalm] I cant wait to try them out.

The traction control would be nice if it was a real button rather than a virtual button. It took me a minute to find it. I think it was under driver aids or something.

I would be very interested to see how people with regular all season tires are doing in the snow with the new Focus. I would think the car should do well .. it is small ... front wheel drive .. relatively heavy for its size ....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile
About the same number of "key-strokes" it takes to check you Eco-Score.[thumb]

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I would be very interested to see how people with regular all season tires are doing in the snow with the new Focus. I would think the car should do well .. it is small ... front wheel drive .. relatively heavy for its size ....
I'll post about this if we ever get snow here. I've been waiting for it as I'm eager to throw this thing trough some snow to see how it stacks up against all my past FWD 5MT econocars. This is the first car I've ever had with traction control.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have yet to drive my Focus Ti in the snow/ice. My wife drove it the other day when it snowed. she loved it, had no complaints. Not sure what snow tires are on it, came from the dealer with them on. Have had snow tires on most of my cars for the last 10 years or so and have never had to turn off any of the traction aids. Will have to try and see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I swapped out the Michelins for a set of Kumho all seasons a week after I got the car. No snow in Maryland yet but hopefully I'm ready.

The Michelins are for sale if anyone's interested. <600 miles driven on 'em.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i agree w/ hotleadsingerguy, the switches for various oft used functions should be visible and easy and one step.. not buried or requiring multiple steps to do.
My contention is upheld: that the Mazda 3, and generally all Mazda products, have more built-in sport than most cars. There is a button on the dash that disables the TCS, and I suspect tones-back the ESC. It is said that none of the mfrs actually allows the ESC to be turned off fully.

Butt ugly, but more built-in sport...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts