Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone who lives in the snowy states wash their car in the winter? Car wash or do it yourself? I have a black car and I heard that car washes will scratch it all up. But I dont want to have salt just sitting on my car?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i wash it myself during the summer, but on the winter(i dont drive it in the snow) i just take it to the touchless car wash...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i go to the self-car washes...when i go there i spend about 3 dollars on a good car wash.

people say that the brush scratches your car...i'm not saying that it can't, but out of two winters, it hasn't scratched my car at all.

what i do is before i use it, i spray it out, getting rid off all the nasty rocks, gravel and sald that might have been in it.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
During the summer I take it to the car wash or hand wash it once a week. During the winter I take it whenever it's above freezing to the car wash and try to give it the best wash I can which is usually about every 2 weeks or so (or whenever I feel like it. I'm lazy about washing cars in the winter[paranoid] LOL) My car won't go through the automatic cause it scraps/drags on the little stop thing.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I fill two 5 gal. buckets. One with carwash and the other with hot water. I do hot water-soapy water-hot water again. I found a very soft bristle brush and just slop it all on. I use another bucket to rinse the brush. It's my three bucket system.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i just go to the touchless car wash whenever it isn't to cold out...surprisingly it does a good job.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I move the hose reel into the garage (yeah, dad had a spout installed in there luckily). that way its not frozen and i can use it for quick de-saltings or a wash with a bucket of hot water from the sink

friend of mine says he gives his a "spongebath" in the garage... i have no clue what that means lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
personally when I HAVE to get out in the snow/ice/rain in the winter I wait until it has melted and go to a car wash and just spray it off with the soap cycle, then rinse cycle if it is above 40, if below...I just wait...drive home and use the chamois a little...luckly I live in Memphis and we get very little snow/ice......

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the summer I would wash my car only by hand, then didn't care about it in the winter. Now I got a new car! I'll try the touchless carwash and hope it gets it all off. And if not my dad has a hot water spicket on the house, it can be washed by hand.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
If it's going to freeze, I go to the self serve car wash. Then beg my parents to let me put my car in their garage for a few hours so the water will dry and not freeze up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts