Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I don't even have a manual on this van, but it's my wife's. When it started getting hot this summer, both the ABS and brake light came on. I know squat about advanced brakes. We already had a problem with the brake fluid level sensor which was leaking, and that was replaced. I tried bridging the pins on the sensor's connector like I did to clear the last ABS/brake light issue. It didn't work.

I found that Windstars like her 2002 have a common problem with the ABS module separating internally due to the circuit board being fused to the heat sink. The expanding heat sink separates the connections to the board.

There are places on the net which will repair the module for a fee around $100. What I want to know is if I can remove the module without hampering the braking. Currently, the fuses for the pump are disconnected, and the braking is still acceptable.

Unfortunately, there's no recall for this issue at this time, although there are a lot of recalls for Windstars at the moment.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
it will just act like a vehicle without ABS, so naturally it will hamper emergency braking but otherwise if either of you are driving correctly for the conditions then it's fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
First of all, have you checked your brake fluid level? I know you said you replaced the fluid level sensor previously, but have you recently checked the fluid level?

Second, you need to get those codes pulled. I know there are quite a few known issues with that van, mostly being the C1185 issues.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it will just act like a vehicle without ABS, so naturally it will hamper emergency braking but otherwise if either of you are driving correctly for the conditions then it's fine.
So the module will remove without affecting hydraulics? It works fine as is, but might fail inspection here with the light on.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
It will stop like a Windstar without ABS.

It should fail with the brake light on, but the ABS would be an advise. (Here, anyway) If you can find a way to shut off the brake light without hampering its ability to turn on during ignition then you should pass.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently nobody has worked on this model. I figured with all the issues that the "Stars" were having, someone would pipe up. I think I POed one Ford tech on here asking about it. I read somewhere that Ford would replace the module if it had burned or caught fire, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to set fire to it before I took it in for diagnosis. Now I guess I'm committed to repairing the module- along with a brand new dishwasher that I bought from a friend who said it had never been used- but now it doesn't work. I'm just throwing money away with all this broken stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts