Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed that their 12 Focus can not get the water off the windshield quick enough in a decent rain storm. Moderate rain here in GA... Wipers on high... Can hardly see. Seems to not wipe fast enough. High on the focus ia like medium on other cars. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've even sensed this in NY rain. Coming from a car that had synchronized blades, I think that's throwing me off. Plus these blades are quite long and have a distance to complete their full rotation.

I'm going to be putting RainX on my car & switching to the RainX fluid. I plan on that helping to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'm going to be putting RainX on my car & switching to the RainX fluid. I plan on that helping to resolve the issue.
RainX helped me a bunch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I have gone to the fluid an the rain X on the windshield. Helps. But not a cure.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I've even sensed this in NY rain. Coming from a car that had synchronized blades, I think that's throwing me off. Plus these blades are quite long and have a distance to complete their full rotation.
Yeah, I've noticed they are quite long as well. Haven't been through a real heavy rain yet but we'll see. I'm also kind of curious as to how they are going to do once the wet, heavy snow starts flying up here.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Having the same issue. Definitely not fast enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. The. Dealer ordered new wipers for me (free). Prob wont help but oh well. They are free. Service manager and I both thing it's a combination of three things. Euro style wiping pattern, the really long wipers, and the really long sloping back front windshield. Water docent run off as easy. Stays on the windshield longer, so the wipers have a bigger job to do. More weight from tbe water. They do slow down with a hard rain. Their speed...

Oh... He was intrested in hearing if a lot of other people on this board feel the same way. Have the same issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, what on earth is a "Euro style wiping pattern" and what difference would it make, pure rubbish...
Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
It hasn't rained here since last spring so I have no idea if the windshield wipers actually work. All I have used them for is to get the dust off the windshield, and using the washers once in a while. [confused]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, what on earth is a "Euro style wiping pattern" and what difference would it make, pure rubbish...
Chris
[nono]

Using the power of deduction and common sense, I assume he means the opposing motions. Just going out on a thick, sturdy, un-waivable limb right there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Chris
This so called "Euro style wiping pattern" IS different than most US cars but is better because it clears a greater percentage of the windshield. Two longer blades that move from the center to the outsides vs...err...very hard to explain... without just watching both types in motion. I don't think that pattern has anything to do with these "speed of motion" complaints. I think the main difference is these new units are controlled by some type of servo or stepper motors. Old style is a fixed mechanism with a single motor. This new system is intelligent in that you can mess around and move the two blade arms around by hand and when you reactivate them, the motors will re-order them back. Funny to watch. On the old style, if you tried to move them by hand, you would break something. My point is...completely different system.

I will never have this complaint because I always have a coating of Rain-x and therefore don't even need wipers unless I am traveling at very slow speed. So, cant speak to whether they move fast enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he was indicating that the EURO style setup requires them to moves at a slower speed. I have RainX wiper fluid and I now use RainX on my windshield. Definately helps. They still wipe slow though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. Never was a English major. I don't post very often. Apparently this guy has an issue with my original post?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Roger, roger ... wipers worthless in what we would call a sprinkle here in FL. Hard to believe Rain X is mandatory. Probably doesn't rain very hard in Germany. not tropical.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Roger, roger ... wipers worthless in what we would call a sprinkle here in FL. Hard to believe Rain X is mandatory. Probably doesn't rain very hard in Germany. not tropical.
Florida has the same rain as anywhere else. The one exception is in the middle of a hurricane. then i will grant it might be raining a little more than usual. And it might be blowing a bit harder too.
Otherwise it is no different. I lived there... Hardest rain i ever saw was in Georgia. It was like standing under a waterfall. A BIG waterfall.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tampa Bay Rain

Florida has the same rain as anywhere else. The one exception is in the middle of a hurricane. then i will grant it might be raining a little more than usual. And it might be blowing a bit harder too.
Otherwise it is no different. I lived there... Hardest rain i ever saw was in Georgia. It was like standing under a waterfall. A BIG waterfall.
I live in Tampa Bay and we are the lightning capital of the world last I checked (Clearwater). We have afternoon thunderstorms in the summer like clockwork at drive time usually 4:30-5PM (It's been a little dry last 2 weeks).

I drove through a torrential downpour last week and my wipers seemed to be sufficient enough with the rain sensing thing on. It's was the flooded urban streets in Tampa I was concerned with. Suspension package+18"= A little low around the work nieghborhood.

I'm sure RainX would help with clarity. That's good stuff. It's a real flat sloped windshield too! I noticed that right away.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts