Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side wiper on my 2000 Focus very frequently travels well past the glass and into the body of the car between the window and the door (not sure what that is called). It makes a very loud noise, and has stripped the paint down to the metal (small section currently). Is there any way to reduce the travel of the wiper motor? Or any other solution to this problem?

Thanks for any/all help,
Eric

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sounds like it has worked its way loose at the mounting point. Check to see if you can move the arm or it feels loose. It may be stripped at the splines or if someone has taken it off, may have installed it in the wrong position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definately feels loose compared to the passenger side arm. How could I check if I can tighten? What would need to be replaced if it is stripped?

thanks,
Eric

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
There's a cap on the arm where the wiper is hinged at. It goes from the hinge (where you bend the wiper to get the blades off) to the pivot point on the arm. Pop the cap off down at the pivot point at the cowl and you will find a nut underneath. That nut is holding it on the stud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like the arm is firmly attached to the stud, but whatever the stud is attached to seems loose. Is there something under the stud that can be tightened? It seems rather difficult to get under there as well, any tips?

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
I'm pretty sure the studs go into a linkage that's attached to the wiper motor. It's been a long time since I had my cowling off, but I'm almost certain that's how it works. More than likely there are nuts holding those studs in place.

In order to get the cowling off, you have to remove the wipers, disconnect the clips on the cowling that are in front of the rubber molding that seals the hood, and take out a few screws.

I wish I could be more descriptive as to where the screws are, but I'm not in front of the car right now. I know one of them is in the middle of the cowling between the wipers, like dead center of the window.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the linkage under the cowling. I'll give that a look this weekend and see if I can figure it out.
Thanks all for your help. I'll post an update either way once I get a chance to look at it more.

Eric

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
good luck[thumb] I'll try and get you a pick or two up later when I get home from work so you know what you're up against[:D]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi a have had the same problem on my 2000, there are 2 options, buy a new linkages (comes as one part) or remove the one you have and weld the loose pieces together, I have done this a couple of years ago (the linkage kit was kind of expensive here in Norway, like185usd) Good luck

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There's probably nylon bushings in the linkage pivot points. If they break and fall away, you'll have a sloppy joint, and even a little slop there translates into quite a bit of extra travel at the far end of the blade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts