Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to this forum. I have a 2018 ford focus 2.0 L4 hatchback. My front wipers would not shut off today no matter what position the switch was in. They even kept running when the key was removed. I pulled the fuse F18 and they shut down. Left it out for about 30 mins. Plugged it back in and they would continue going, regardless of switch position. Pulled the battery cover and the negative terminal was corroded. Pulled the battery out, cleaned all the connections, added moisture absorbers, and now they won't turn on at all. Any advice? Also something odd. When I pulled the fuse the second time, both wipers were in the home position. Came back out after 30 mins and the driver side wipers was up, but the passenger was still in home position. Super odd.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
351 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes that is a weird issue. The BCM(body control module) could be to blame but I would guess that the wiper switch needs to be replaced. If there's a short in the switch then it might never shut off. There was a recall or two involving the wipers on certain year Focuses that the motors were exposed to water and/or wiper fluid that would short it out from missing seals on the wiper motor or something. I think the water would travel down the harness to the BCM and short it out causing other weird electrical gremlins to happen.
2014 Ford Focus Visibility/Wiper Problems | CarComplaints.com
2012 Ford Focus recalled due to windshield wiper motor wiring (consumerreports.org)
Is it still under warranty?
I would report it to the NHTSA website as this is a clear safety issue and possible fire hazard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking more than likely it does have something to do with the BCM versus the switch. I only say that because it went from running full blast and changing variable speeds on its own to not turning on at all. Unfortunately the car is no longer under warranty, but I will certainly be reporting to NHTSA. Do you happen to know more less where the BCM would be located on my model?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind. After some Google University research, I found out the BCM is behind the glove compartment. Debating whether I should pull the BCM, open it up and check for corroded solder joints or other damage. Is this recommended or will it cause more problems than the current ones? Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not sure that you'll find an internal diagram for the BCM. I'm thinking it won't exist. An electrical schematic for the wires going to it should be available though. You'll probably have to look on a search engine. It would also be available in the Ford Shop manual in the electrical section for the 2018 Focus. That's what any pic that you find on the internet will be out of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The negative battery terminal has a battery monitor sensor on it and it is networked off the same network the wipers run. Since you say its corroded or was I bet you the sensor and the connector are damaged from the corrosion. I have seen this happen before. The wipers are operated on whats called the LIN network and so is the battery monitor sensor.
I would try un plugging that sensor(its on the negative terminal) and seeing if you wipers resume working properly. Most likely if its damaged enough from corrosion you will need to replace the negative battery cable and the connector. Which I can get you part numbers too if needed.
I can try to see if I can get you a wiring diagram

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motorhead, I was wondering what that sensor was. It was pretty corroded as well. I tried to clean it up, at least externally, as best as I could. Didn't bother unplugging it and checking the inside connections because I didn't know it would be related. But I did do some light reading on the LIN network and realized it could have something to do with the battery sensor. Just didn't know where the sensor was located. Does the LIN network control the air vent controls as well? For the longest time the car would get stuck on the defroster vent setting and I had to cycle through the different settings and sometimes even turn the car off and then on again to get it to change. Starting to think it's all related now 🤔

I would definitely appreciate that wiring diagram as well as the part number for the battery sensor in the event I need to refer back to it. If it's not too much trouble of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much Motorhead!

So another anomaly that I can't definitively explain, I left the windshield wiper fuse out for a couple of days. It was raining here so I couldn't drive the car anyway. Just went out to plug it back in, hoping the gremlin got bored and left and in fact it did. Wipers are working fine on all speeds now. Had to have been moisture got in somewhere, either the BMS or the BCM. Either way, it fixed itself. Probably going to trade it in for a Chevy or any foreign brand that isn't BMW.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm betting that Ford never completely fixed the 2012 recall issue with the BCM wiring getting wet from the wiper/washer motor and some vehicles are still afflicted with the problem. Either that or the manufacturer that makes the parts had another batch of these washer motors without the seals.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
271 Posts
Thank you so much Motorhead!

So another anomaly that I can't definitively explain, I left the windshield wiper fuse out for a couple of days. It was raining here so I couldn't drive the car anyway. Just went out to plug it back in, hoping the gremlin got bored and left and in fact it did. Wipers are working fine on all speeds now. Had to have been moisture got in somewhere, either the BMS or the BCM. Either way, it fixed itself. Probably going to trade it in for a Chevy or any foreign brand that isn't BMW.
Sooo, you're going to dump the car because your wipers broke? Has it been a lemon otherwise? Not trying to bust your ass but it's broke, fix it and move on. It's a strange problem I'll give you that but fixable. What happens when your shiny new whatever develops a problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cobrajet, I'm guessing you're dead on with that. It was the last year they made those focus' so I'm guessing it was just bad engineering or cheap parts used in it.

Jrn146, the car is barely 3 years old and so far I've had to replace the water pump, the coolant reservoir, and the car hesitates upon take off. Haven't had time to look into the sputtering yet. A car this new shouldn't have that many problems already.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the car hesitates upon take off. Haven't had time to look into the sputtering yet.
Both of those issues are usually because of the TCM(transmission control module) module. I would bring it to Ford and have them see if it needs to be replaced or just reflashed. You have a 10yr/150k mile free extended warranty from Ford on the TCM because of the mass amount of complaints with the DCT auto transmission. You might also see if they can reflash your BCM while it's there. I'd tell them that it has the symptoms of the 2012 wiper recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts