Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says...
They were a bit weak last night, and went to check again on the way to work...nothing...front or back.

Am I looking at a new motor/pump for the washers? (wipers themselves are working fine)
I haven't checked the fuse yet, but I don't think that's it,
due to the fact that they were only squirting about 1/4 as far as they used to, then died all together.

Nuts.[mad]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be clogged lines, but...
I don't hear the pump running anymore either.

I'll be delving into it this evening, and the lines will be the first thing (after the fuse) that I'll be checking.
Too bad they put the "business end" of the washer assembly behind the fender making it virtually impossible to get to. [:(]

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
That's going to be hard to check! What a PITA, but from your description it sounds like maybe the motor died.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
that blows... it probably IS the pump too, the part is cheap enough, but it kind of a pain IIRC to get to

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't be insulted by this question, I'm only asking because you didn't say anything about it in the main post.

Did you make sure you didn't run out of water?

When mine ran out, it sprayed about 1/2 of what it usually did, then stopped a few sprays later.

I know you probably checked this, but I just asked for the heck of it. Not trying to be condescending. :p

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
when mine stopped working it was just that the line had actually came off the resivoir. make sure to check there too [thumb]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you make sure you didn't run out of water?
^^^LOL!
No offense taken...filled to the brim with fresh fluid...

But, we have a verdict. It is in fact the motor/pump.
What a PITA!
Had to jack up the car, remove the driver's side wheel, and remove the inner fender liner just to get to the reservoir and pump. [?|]
Then I removed the pump (and promptly dumped a gallon of fresh w/w cleaner on my lap) and put full 12 volts to the pump from the battery.
It sputtered, it coughed, it gave up the ghost.
Will be ordering a new motor on Monday.
Amazing...only 1,000 miles out of warranty. [confused]

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
That's a bummer, but at least you know what the problem is. Having it not work, and not knowing why it doesn't work is annoying.

·
Registered
134 Posts
WD40 and all - I have always been curious - does using the windshield washers/wipers in dry weather cause any problems with the car's paint or finish. I rarely (if ever) have used mine during summer months.

Thanks.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Jetsetter
6,656 Posts
idk if its the same stuff, but i work at Sam's club and we sell Peak Windsheild washer fluid in a case (6) for less than $8 might be the same might not, ill check if i get a chance tomorrow morning while im there, but check it out!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I buy the cheapo blue stuff though,
Tried that once...froze up in a heartbeat on the windshield. [eek]

I see that stuff at about half the gas stations around here.
idk if its the same stuff, but i work at Sam's club and we sell Peak Windsheild washer fluid in a case (6) for less than $8]
LOL!
You folks got it lucky...there's not much to choose from around here. [:(]
There is a Sam's Club in Great Falls, about 85 miles to the north.

But...Costco is starting construction!
Will be up and running this fall sometime! [clap]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^Yep...the -20° stuff is far too weak for winter duty around here. LOL!
Not fun on the Interstate at 75+mph...and the windshield gets completely obscured by ice. [eek]

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use the green stuff, or the Rain-X winter wash. Both are good to -45C and I've seen it freeze on the highway. The blue -20 stuff just won't cut it here in the winter. I also use the pink summer wash, swapping back and forth as temps permit. I've never heard of washer fluid causing paint problems though. Most are ethylene glycol and soap, so I can't see why it would.
Maybe you should post a sticky how-to for us WD?[;)]
I hope the install is less painful than the extraction sounded.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts