Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from a ball game last night, out in the middle of nowhere, the wind caught my car just right and the trim piece on the driver's side of the windshield came unstuck down at the base and flipped up about halfway.
I taped it back down with packing tape (thats all I had) so that it wouldn't snap off entirely.

So, question: is there an epoxy of some sort to glue this back down with? Is there a specialty clip or something that's missing now?
Is this something covered under warranty? (Forty years old and I've never owned a vehicle covered by warranty before! I have no clue what the process is with that. lol)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no body damage. Just the incessant wind of the Great Plains...
And it only has 22k on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Should be covered. Visit the local dealer body shop if they have one, if not just the service dept.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Most Dealers you'd have to start at "Service" since they handle warranty claims - even if they have the Body Shop do the work.

(Body Shop is often run separately from the rest of the Dealership)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Coming home from a ball game last night, out in the middle of nowhere, the wind caught my car just right and the trim piece on the driver's side of the windshield came unstuck down at the base and flipped up about halfway.
I taped it back down with packing tape (thats all I had) so that it wouldn't snap off entirely.

So, question: is there an epoxy of some sort to glue this back down with? Is there a specialty clip or something that's missing now?
Is this something covered under warranty? (Forty years old and I've never owned a vehicle covered by warranty before! I have no clue what the process is with that. lol)
No, no body damage. Just the incessant wind of the Great Plains...
And it only has 22k on it.
Hi ErinP,

Is this for your 2013? I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer to have this taken care of. Once you schedule it, please let me know. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I just found out I need to be in town Friday, so Im planning to call the shop tomorrow and see if they can get me in then. :)
And yes, it's the 13. I'd just SuperGlue it if it was one of the '03s. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had mine come loose the second day I had the car (I bought it used with 33,000 miles on it). All I had to do was snap it back and strike it with the side of my palm to make sure it was seated correctly. That was five months ago, and it hasn't come loose since. I do check it regularly, especially after going through automatic car washes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I tried that a couple times before resorting to packing tape lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swung by the shop today and asked Rod about this. (The old guys that congregate in the afternoon to drink coffee and BS laughed when I said I've never had a car new enough to still have a warranty).

He took down my VIN, said hopefully he'll be able to get something by tomorrow or Friday AM, and if so, he could get it replaced Friday when I have to be in town again. If not, drop in next week sometime and he can get it changed out.
Easy cheesy. :)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Swung by the shop today and asked Rod about this. (The old guys that congregate in the afternoon to drink coffee and BS laughed when I said I've never had a car new enough to still have a warranty).

He took down my VIN, said hopefully he'll be able to get something by tomorrow or Friday AM, and if so, he could get it replaced Friday when I have to be in town again. If not, drop in next week sometime and he can get it changed out.
Easy cheesy. :)
Awesome to hear! I'll be around if you need me.

Easy Cheesy, indeed.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
On a trip last week to San Antonio from Atlanta and back in my brand new ST I had the driver's side trim from the A pillar windshield partially fly off and flap around on the way out there somewhere outside of Houston I think. I tried to tap it back down but it came loose again after a couple of miles or so, so I just pulled it off and threw it in the trunk. I have scheduled a warranty repair with my local Ford dealer this Monday. The repair will require removing the windshield to replace the lower mounting bracket under the windshield and my dealer has ordered both driver and passenger side lower brackets, upper trim pieces, and a new windshield because he said, according to his glass guy, the windshield breaks 50% of the time when making this repair. Apparently, in my research, this is an ongoing problem with these cars. Needless to say I'm more than disappointed that Ford has not addressed this problem in the intervening years since it first cropped up. I read a blog where one owner reports that it looked like the factory attempted to glue the trim down with silicone sealant when they installed the windshield at the factory and it looks like the same situation occurred with my car. I'm guessing when they install the windshields at the factory they somehow occasionally break the lower bracket and this is how they jerry rig the trim instead of replacing the broken bracket and resetting the windshield properly. Also, I noticed yesterday the upper plastic piece at the rear of the driver's side front fender and the plastic piece under the windshield didn't mesh/connect properly without a gap. Perhaps the wind blowing through that gap caught the lower end of the trim while I was running at speed and with the defective factory installation blew the trim off. I will let you know how the repair goes, but I would suggest all owners of this car inspect the plastic pieces under the windshield from fender to fender and check the fit of the trim pieces on both sides of the windshield. If under warranty make the dealer inspect the fit all around the windshield and repair as needed. To me it's inexcusable if Ford knew about this ongoing problem and didn't correct it. I still love my car but Ford is going to get an earfull from me Monday morning!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... I've never owned a vehicle covered by warranty before! I have no clue what the process is with that. ...
It starts with us reading the warranty and understanding what is and is not covered. Anybody can tell us on the internet what they think, but what's in print is what matters.

It's not likely that any car dealer will get it wrong by telling us something is covered when it's not, but the reverse apparently happens a lot. It doesn't sound like you are having that problem in this case, but if you ever do, it helps to be able to point directly to the written warranty where it says who is right.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
On a trip last week to San Antonio from Atlanta and back in my brand new ST I had the driver's side trim from the A pillar windshield partially fly off and flap around on the way out there somewhere outside of Houston I think. I tried to tap it back down but it came loose again after a couple of miles or so, so I just pulled it off and threw it in the trunk. I have scheduled a warranty repair with my local Ford dealer this Monday...
How did your dealer visit this morning go? I want to see how to best assist.

Meagan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts