Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what they're really called. The black rubber/plastic panel on the left and right edges of the windshield that seem to just be there to cover where the windshield meets the side pillars. Weather molding or whatever it is.

Anyways, has anyone had an issue with this coming off? I just noticed this the other day when driving back from work. The top of my driver's side strip/panel thingy was slightly raised. Pushed it down a little and it popped back up again. Gave it a slight tug to see if the entire thing was coming off and it was still attached, but about 6" of the thing was essentially not attached to anything and was only kept in place by virtue of the rest of it being attached. Is there some way to snap this in or do I need to have it replaced? I've only had the car for 2 weeks, is this a warranty covered thing?

Personally it seems if any parts are falling off the car within a few weeks it should be a dealer fix, but I don't know, this is my first new car. I'd really rather fix this myself if possible without too much effort as the dealership I bought it from is over 30 miles away and I am on night shift for the next few weeks so I can't really make it to them during business hours without seriously screwing with my sleep schedule.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That piece is warped for some reason and should be replaced by the dealer. Given your schedule, I would call the service manager and document your concerns and tell them you will be coming to see them in a few weeks. They should not give you any trouble over this and may give them time to order a new one before you get there. Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same problem. I posted here, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267804, about that on a "happy with your Focus?" post and the people there scoffed at my concerns.
The left side plastic molding on the windshield started to come off when I took my 2012 Focus on a road trip. Only because I stopped for something to snack on did I notice that the piece was about to fly off from the constant wind pressure of driving on the freeway.
I took the car to the dealer and they took photos of the loose molding and told me that they had to send those photos to Ford.
Like it was up to the Ford-makers and not the Ford-dealers to repair or replace the part.
I got a vague "we'll give you a call" from the service manager at the dealer where I bought the car.
After reading your post, it is obviously a build-quality issue that Ford does not quickly own up to.
I would suggest you take your car back and mention that you know of another 2012 Focus owner who has the same problem with the windshield molding.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have the same problem. I posted here, http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267804, about that on a "happy with your Focus?" post and the people there scoffed at my concerns.
The left side plastic molding on the windshield started to come off when I took my 2012 Focus on a road trip. Only because I stopped for something to snack on did I notice that the piece was about to fly off from the wind speed on the freeway.
I took the car to the dealer and they took photos of the loose molding and told me that they had to send those photos to Ford.
Like it was up to the Ford-makers and not the Ford-dealers to repair or replace the part.
I got a vague "we'll give you a call" from the service manager at the dealer where I bought the car.
After reading your post, it is obviously a build-quality issue that Ford does not quickly own up to.
I would suggest you take your car back and mention that you know of another 2012 Focus owner who has the same problem with the windshield molding.
Sorry to call you out here, but it IS up to FoMoCo whether or not your car will be worked on under warranty and whether or not your concern is legitimate, not the dealership. After warranty work is completed, they're audited by the corporation or third party responsible for the warranty reimbursement and if the work was found to be completed when the warranty concern should have been denied, then the dealership doesn't make the money back and instead has to pay out of their own pocket. Also, they send these pictures to Ford in order to raise awareness that customers are having specific problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, both of you.

Armando, I read your post in the other thread and I also had a very noticeable odor in the car (smelled like caustic cleaning chemicals or something, so maybe it was from the dealer cleaning it before turning it over to me, I am not sure) when I first picked it up as well, but leaving the windows down for extended periods, even when not driving (so long as the weather allowed it) has pretty much gotten rid of it.

I'll email my dealer with some pictures after I get off work in the morning and see what he says. He's been really good about everything so far (saying several times when I picked it up that if anything goes wrong or I need help with anything like MFT to not hesitate to stop by, call, or email him) although who knows what will happen after I receive and turn in the customer satisfaction survey from Ford.

EDIT: Does anyone know what the official name for this thing is? Windshield molding or something like that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
@feta_mgp

A car dealer who wants to maintain a good reputation for themselves and for the cars they sell as well as maintaining the reputation of the car-maker would not take such a casual attitude towards even the slightest defects in the cars they sell.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I would update this while I thought about it and in case anyone else has this issue and wanted to know what happened. I took it to get it looked at by the dealership and they said they didn't have the part in, but would order it and give me a call back when it came in, supposedly some time this week. They didn't really give me any grief at all about it, so I don't know if there is a TSB for it now or something or if they're just going to eat the cost (it can't be too terribly much), but from what I can tell the replacement isn't going to be a problem (I doubt they'd order the parts and then say they aren't going to fix it).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the update. I noticed this about a week after we got ours and sitting in the passenger seat, it was obvious the driver side was lifting some at the roof side. I pushed it down and check it regularly and its been fine. Hoping it stays fine!

·
Registered
163 Posts
@feta_mgp

A car dealer who wants to maintain a good reputation for themselves and for the cars they sell as well as maintaining the reputation of the car-maker would not take such a casual attitude towards even the slightest defects in the cars they sell.
I agree.....my dealership would not balk whatsoever at something like that. It's just good business on their part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts