Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windshield Cowling? is bubbled. Underneath my battery compartment is VERY corroded. Less than 12,000 miles on it. Pics will be below.

So far I'm at just a little over 5 days in the dealership with a rental car due to various issues such as paint on the bumper chipping off, instrument panel clip broken so it was rattling, etc.

This is going to be a lengthy repair/clean up if they do it right. Some stuff is going to have to flat out be replaced. The corrosion is just deep.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If its right under the battery, it's prob due to battery acid leaking. For starters, get some baking soda and water onto it. If it is battery acid, you need to neutralize it ASAP to stop the corrosion, because it will keep eating away at stuff quickly. You can either get the area good and wet, sprinkle on the baking soda, let it sit for a few mins (and it will steam and bubble if it is battery acid), then wash off followed by a rinse and repeat if desired, or you can make a solution of baking soda and water to wash the stuff off with.

temps seem to get very hot under the hood of these cars, much more then the average car. I wouldn't be surprised if that has negative effects in general on our batteries. If it is battery acid, and you end up changing the battery, i'd spend a few bucks more on an AGM type so it wont happen again. Besides the longer life and all that is supposed to be the attraction to AGM type batteries, I'd recommend them on ANY car that has critical components underneath the battery tray so that a bad/leaking battery doesn't result in big mechanical repairs down the road as well from the acid eating up stuff under it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts